Whats the law on partners staying nights at each others?

I was chatting to a bloke who is a benefits advisor about this and he was telling me that there is no set rule, as other have said, it is about perception - do people think you are cohabiting partners.

Apparently if you are living at seperate addresses, paying council tax at seperate addresses, paying utilities seprately, registered to vote at separate addresse etc it should be fairly easy to prove that you are not cohabiting.

It does seem to be a srange rule, that it goes on perception, rather than reality. We were talking about an instance where two people (who were a couple) tried to claim working tax credits together as a couple but were told that for the purposes of that they were not a couple. So one of them put ina claim for income support which was turned down...as they had a partner!

You would think though that you could have aperiod of time where you were boyfriend and girlfriend and stay over occasionally without penalty or do they expect people on benefits to go from the "I quite like you lets have a date" to "fully cohabiting as if married" with no in between stages?

Really, so late parties are out as well, it's almost like Cinderella, must be gone before midnight!

Ha, good point! I was thinking of "day" as in daytime, rather than simply a change of date. I should have made that clear.

I don't know if the DWP would count you as "staying over" if your late evening dinner lasted until 12:01am; I certainly wouldn't.

do they expect people on benefits to go from the "I quite like you lets have a date" to "fully cohabiting as if married" with no in between stages?

gosh this is funny to think of but sadly so true, you have to either be single and on the shelf or a almost married couple, this is a sure way to scare of any men you may meet

first date went well, now lets get married if you want to stay over and do the adult sex thing, or how about a quickie then shuv him out of the door before a nosy neighbour rings the sex police:loopy: its crazy

just because someone is single on benefits doesnt mean they have to become a nun too, hmmm or would that be seen as working too?

Really, so late parties are out as well, it's almost like Cinderella, must be gone before midnight!

lol:hihi::hihi::hihi:

DWP becomes the parent :hihi:

If DWP says you cannot stay out past 9pm (unless there are night shifts at the local factory) and that your not allowed to share a bed untill your married else claiming together then so be it. If you want to live in their financial yard, you must do as they say. If you misbehave you shall be reprimanded.

DWP becomes the parent :hihi:

If DWP says you cannot stay out past 9pm (unless there are night shifts at the local factory) and that your not allowed to share a bed untill your married else claiming together then so be it. If you want to live in their financial yard, you must do as they say. If you misbehave you shall be reprimanded.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

gosh this is funny to think of but sadly so true, you have to either be single and on the shelf or a almost married couple, this is a sure way to scare of any men you may meet

first date went well, now lets get married if you want to stay over and do the adult sex thing, or how about a quickie then shuv him out of the door before a nosy neighbour rings the sex police:loopy: its crazy

just because someone is single on benefits doesnt mean they have to become a nun too, hmmm or would that be seen as working too?

lol:hihi::hihi::hihi:

You can just imagine can't you - first date, it is going quite well and they decide to meet again

second date and the bloke invites the woman home for "coffee". Next morning as she gets ready to leave she just casually mentions that bloke is now her partner, equivilent to a spouse in the eyes of the DWP...

I doubt there would be a third date!

I think its unfortunate that due to a fair few naughty people pretending to be seperate when they aren't, it spoils it for everyone.I think ditching the term "partner" and reverting to the traditional girlfriend may assist with the stigma attached. 'Cos seriously if you aren't living together are you really partners?

Visiting is allowed,cohabiting and moving clothes in,paying bills etc usually isn't.

I think its mighty unfair on you both.

I agree with your first sentence. Couples/partners (with or without children) who both work usually live together to pool resources. Its unlikely they could afford to pay for two homes, especially if they have children - unless they are really well off. Couples where one works, and the other doesn't, and who have children, may be much better off living separately (working father has a cheap bedsit, non-working mum claims as a single parent). I've met people who have done this - who moved in together once the children were old enough for mum to work and benefits was no longer an issue.

And, two non working adults also get more in benefits by living separately than as a couple - especially if one is a lone parent.

Again, it highlights a skewed benefits system - two people should always = two lots of benefits. The government could save money by doing this - it might well cut down on two lots of housing and council tax benefits if there was nothing to be gained financially from living separately.

If they are just boyfriend and girlfriend thats different, and the rules seem a bit draconian.

ive heard that now you cnt stay over at all unless claiming together is this true?

It's simple really, on the nights you wish to spend together simply get a hotel room!! This way you can have a bit of rumpy pumpy and those nose poker inners at the dole will be non the wiser.;)

Archived