Travelling in First Class to London

I am in the process of booking a single rail ticket from Sheffield to London St Pancras on Sat 4 December. It's £20 for a standard ticket and only an additional £4 to travel First Class, so I'm going to pay extra on the assumption that I will have a more comfortable journey.

However, I have no idea what the differences are between travelling in a Standard carriage and one that is First Class. Anyone give me a clue please?

Thanks

I went first class in September, not sure about the Meridian trains, but on an Inter City I got a wider, more comfortable seat, single seats down one side of the carriage and doubles down the other.

There was free, at seat tea, coffee, fruit juice, water and biscuits available, also orders for food were taken and the food brought to your seat. The drinks were served at least four times during the journey, definitely worth the few extra pounds.

I always go first class if booking in advance as it is only a couple of quid differance. It would cost you £2 for a coffee, it is nice and quiet and there is enough room for your bags and most have laptop connections :)

Have a nice trip.

Free wifi in 1st class, as much tea and coffe as you can drink (although the coffee's not so good), comfy seats, no chavvy kids, free biscuits and pastries, free wine between 4-7pm, and table service should you wish to order any food from the exclusive 1st class menu.

No wifi on the Sheffield - St Pancs service unless it's new. There is on Doncaster - Kings X.

The freebies depend on the time of travel, you used to get free wine, now it's mostly just coffee/tea and some nuts.

But you do normally get a table to yourself and it's quieter and more pleasant than standard class.

If it's just £4, then it's well worth it.

Last time we went to London we went 1st class, and really liked the airline type seats with the shared table for two of us. Free drinks added to the journey - and the big bonus for us - it was pretty quiet. If we can't get 1st class, we usually try and book the quiet coach - no mobiles allowed. Bliss.

I am in the process of booking a single rail ticket from Sheffield to London St Pancras on Sat 4 December. It's £20 for a standard ticket and only an additional £4 to travel First Class, so I'm going to pay extra on the assumption that I will have a more comfortable journey.

However, I have no idea what the differences are between travelling in a Standard carriage and one that is First Class. Anyone give me a clue please?

Thanks

better seat, loads better, it's nice and clean, there's no idiots, it's never over crowed, you can use free wifi, charge your phone, free tea, coffee, water, biscuits. well worth it. this year i found cheap 1st class tickets, and i love travelling 1st class now, been to london there and back, ad edinburgh, all 1st class and cheaper than standard carriages.

Archived