Dad at home, mum at work?

Apparently more men than women have lost their jobs due to the recession,

it´s true for the UK, US, and Europe in general. I`ve even heard the expression "mancession".

How easy is it to change roles, what happends to the relation?

Is it something one dares to tell the neighbours, relatives?

Men have stayed at home whilst women work for a couple of generations now for all sorts of reasons (but it started in the 70's when northern working class men became unemployed en mass) so it's not a issue for anyone these days... Perhaps your thread would make more sense in the history pages? Where the men who were there the first time might be able to respond? The world is a different place now, 'breadwinners' is a very 'retro' term as women tend to earn the same and sometimes more than their partners these days...

My wife and I both find that people give you funny looks if you actually talk to your child though - we both have a sort of ongoing dialogue with her even though she's too little to talk herself, and a lot of people seem a bit bemused by it.

Lol. I have full-on conversations with my dog and cat sometimes, the cat 'talks' back sometimes (well she chirps and miaows), but the dog just looks quizzically at me.

I'm sure I'd be even worse with babies.

Archived