Annoying Fog Light users!!

Ok, but you can still use fog/spot lights on really dark roads,fog or no fog.Yes/No?

Fog lights and 'spot lights' are not the same thing.

You use fog lights in the fog. I guess you can use them when there is no-one coming the other way if you want as it won't bother anyone, but it won't add much to your ability to see anything. It isn't what they are designed for. They are designed to create a pool of light low down, where it won't reflect back into the drivers eyes, but they don't have a massive reach, because if it's foggy enough to need them, you won't be going very fast.

Spot lights are aimed more like your headlights - the sort of things rally cars have on them. These are, AFAIK, not fitted as standard or an option by car manufacturers, with the possible exception of Land Rover. These are legal to use in the same way as your main beam - and they do the same job. They are massive, bright lights designed to illuminate the road a long way ahead, for when you're driving fast. They have to be wired in to the main beam switch by law I think.

I've spent along time trying to respond to this thread, it annoys me so much they do it during the day and night which is worse.

Why they do it i may never know, perhaps they enjoy blinding fellow drivers? or maybe they think it makes their car look better. :huh:

To be honest i dont care why they do it, i just wish they would grow up and stop doing it! :rant:

Fog lights and 'spot lights' are not the same thing.

You use fog lights in the fog. I guess you can use them when there is no-one coming the other way if you want as it won't bother anyone, but it won't add much to your ability to see anything. It isn't what they are designed for. They are designed to create a pool of light low down, where it won't reflect back into the drivers eyes, but they don't have a massive reach, because if it's foggy enough to need them, you won't be going very fast.

Spot lights are aimed more like your headlights - the sort of things rally cars have on them. These are, AFAIK, not fitted as standard or an option by car manufacturers, with the possible exception of Land Rover. These are legal to use in the same way as your main beam - and they do the same job. They are massive, bright lights designed to illuminate the road a long way ahead, for when you're driving fast. They have to be wired in to the main beam switch by law I think.

ok,i was just clarifying, as i wasnt sure legally if i could use my spot lights (which is what my car manual says they are).I use them on dark roads only, which are much better than headlights.

Spots - Yes.

Foglamps - No.

Highway Code:

Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

Thank you.....

The M18 is particularly bad for it this time of year.

A neighbour of mine drives about constantly with his fog lights on even in daylight. He has an Astra, on which he has taken the badges off (what does that tell you??) ... reckons it makes him look cool ... WTF, what a muppet.

Agreed - the worst offenders, IMO, are those that use fog lights in rain on a motorway. Obviously, nobody wants to see the car in front's brake lights go on when driving down a sodden motorway :loopy:

I have seen a lot of cars lately with their front fog lights on. The best ones are those who have one or more headlights out so put the fog lights on to compensate!

My OH's car has front foglights, I have only used them once when it was smoggy, driving down country lanes in the dark and there was very little visibility, they helped light up the edge of the road.

So it seems everyone gets just as annoyed as me with these front (and rear) fog light users......So who are they and why do it!!!???

i must have flashed 6 or 7 people on the snake pass tonight with there front fogs on:huh: (it was really clear as well)

ok,i was just clarifying, as i wasnt sure legally if i could use my spot lights (which is what my car manual says they are).I use them on dark roads only, which are much better than headlights.
And you passed your test, fella? When? :huh:

Yeah to the fogs thing as well. Saw one on Woodseats tonight nearly blinding everyone, fogs on, one headlight out :rolleyes:

Part of the problem is bad design though. I've driven plenty of cars where the fog light switch isn't integrated with the general light switches. This makes it easy to forget that your fog lights are on. Unless you switch them off, they come back on next time you use the lights.

To operate the fogs on my current car, you have to pull the headlight switch. This operation is automatically reversed when you switch the lights off. No more accidental fog lights for me.

Archived