When is someone going to do something about these thieving parasites?

not every scrapman is like that next time take the reg and report them to the authorities they make a bad name for the rest of us, that are legit.

And genuine scrap men wouldn`t mind being paid by cheque (or bank transfer).

One other advantage of Cheque payments, they`d be that bit less likely to try and defraud the taxman (i.e. you and me)...........

not every scrapman is like that next time take the reg and report them to the authorities they make a bad name for the rest of us, that are legit.

The authorities don't care or are powerless! A while ago, a friend of mine, arriving home in his car saw a 'scrapman' stealing/recycling his childs bike which had been in the back garden. He followed the flatbed transit to the gates of the Lodge Moor gypsy site, whereupon he phoned the police ... result? ... not interested! :mad:

One other advantage of Cheque payments, they`d be that bit less likely to try and defraud the taxman (i.e. you and me)...........

Have I got this wrong or have you. Shouldn't that read " Genuine scap men wouldn't mind paying you by cheque". I'm not sure that I would pay someone to walk off with my old central heating boiler.

Have I got this wrong or have you. Shouldn't that read " Genuine scap men wouldn't mind paying you by cheque". I'm not sure that I would pay someone to walk off with my old central heating boiler.

I think he has.

That way everything should be traceable.

Everything should be traceable anyway.

The scrapyards are obliged by law to record a description and weight of every load, and the registration number. (Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964).

The main problem, I think, is that the responsibility for enforcement is divided between the Police, the council, and the Environment Agency; so they all tend to leave it to the others.

Apparently, they do do a coordinated operation every now and then, but...

As I have said before (and will no doubt say again), why don't you honest dealers clean up the industry?

We would suffer less theft, and you would have more trade.

Everything should be traceable anyway.

The scrapyards are obliged by law to record a description and weight of every load, and the registration number. (Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964).

The main problem, I think, is that the responsibility for enforcement is divided between the Police, the council, and the Environment Agency; so they all tend to leave it to the others.

Apparently, they do do a coordinated operation every now and then, but...

As I have said before (and will no doubt say again), why don't you honest dealers clean up the industry?

We would suffer less theft, and you would have more trade.

Surely being able to trace who actually banked the money is more significant than the reg plate ? And how many Gypsies have got bank accounts anyway ?

Incidentally, TV aerial wise we dealt with the Gypsies up at Lodge Moor a few times and didn`t have a problem with them, can`t say that for all groups of them though......

I know that the rail industry in particular is desperate to stamp out scrap thieves, surely they don`t just leave it to other people ? If they do they should stop (just) whining, and get their fingers out.

Archived