When is someone going to do something about these thieving parasites?

A little off topic. I live across from one of these delightful 'Scrap Men' and get to enjoy the fruits of his labour. Two pickup trucks (only one taxed the other parked on his open drive) full of the things he collects throughout the day. Sadly the things that can't be weighed in i.e. plastic casings, wire insulation, concrete blocks from washing machines etc he strips out and dumps on some local waste ground in plain sight of our houses so he doesn't spoil the view for strangers. In the summer he also does garden and rubbish clearance (which he burns on the waste ground) sometimes it's odd assortments like fully planted tubs and hanging baskets, can't imagine why people throw those away!

He's been reported numerous times but we live in social housing and it seems he's not the actual tennant (I have lived here 13 years and they have too, they did move from a two bed to a three bed opposite when they had angel number 4) he's regularly arrested for drunk and disorderly yet still no long term action is taken against him.

Rant over my point was they seem to be untouchable, in lots of ways. They steal (even caught on cctv stealing planters from the nearby nursery they didn't get prosecuted as they 'thought' it was with some pallets they were collecting and therfore rubbish) they are anti social, they let the kids run riot, they intimidate people to keep silent and seem to know every single loophole:rant:

You've been provided with a more than adequte explanation as to why you are wrong. If you want to refute that come back with the reasons, rather than insults in lieu of them.

I've been provided with nothing more than you opinion on the matter which doesn't seem to have convinced too many on here. It certainly isn't an opinion shared with the poilce who rarely prosecute even if goods have been physically removed from a driveway.

Then I suggest you look at the legislation which tells you what is and isn't theft - I did reference it further up the page for you.

Theft Act, 1968. with the section of interested extracted for you.

Now if you wish to try and refute it - please come back with reasons.

This sort of thing could be fairly easilly stopped with a bit of common sense legislation. Make it requirement for the scrap men to obtain a receipt for all items "donated" with the owners name address and contact number on. Further make it a legal requirement (with large fines if not obeyed) for the scrap yards to take delivery of that receipt for each item they buy from the scrap men. Add in a requirement to randomly check say 10% of the reciepts and have random inspections with large fines if reciepts are found to be forged.

Make second hand stores subject to the same requirements and suddenly burglars will also have a harder time shifting stolen goods as well.

Scrap men may be hard to prosecute at the moment but scrap yards are big business and with the right legislation in place would be very easy to target - cut off the demand for nicked scrap and the scrap men will stop stealing stuff and actually ask permission.

Archived