BBC Strikes for pensions

Is anybody else unable to understand what the NUJ are striking for? As I understand it most of the BBC didn't want to strike but the NUJ did, so they were out last Friday and will be out again next week. Its a bit rich when most of us are seeing our pensions going up the Swanney for these people who earn loads of money doing a nice cumfy job are going on strike.

I didnt really notice it last week, as the only BBC i heard on Friday was Radio Sheffield which wasnt affected, but I read today that they are all falling out at radio 4.

I also read that they could be on strike for a week over Christmas??

Who do these people think they are. We pay for them to be able to retire at 60 on a full final salary pensiion. Do they think they are not part of the current financial meltdown?

I would love one of them to tell me what they earn for their hours and compare it to most Sheffielders. I dont think people would be on their side then.

I dont think there are many on their side now!

There have been new presenters step up and take their place and some of hem have done a great job so they are in danger of loosing the job altogether if they aren't careful.

Actually thinking about it there was a new presenter on Radio Sheffield where Rony should have been. He was very, very good.

Toby was on as naormal as were his team, including my favourite Paul Walker.

I really enjoyed seeing more mature reporters. I hate the tiny women with big heads and little girl voices they tend to employ. Bring on the old men and women, I hope they continue to strike!!

Also the threat of them striking over christmas is laughable. What a shock it would be if they put on repeats such as the only fools and horses episode when they dress up as batman and robin. What do they think we will miss if they strike?:hihi:

The strikes at the BBC are all about the BBC trying to reduce it's pension deficit from around ~£1.5 billion (caused by them not making their contributions to the pension fund while times were good). They don't yet know how big the deficit is, which is one of the main things which has got the unions annoyed.

BECTU (who represent the technical and production staff) were also going to strike over the matter until the BBC made several concessions. NUJ still believe there is room for them to move. BECTU have said they may yet strike (which will cripple the BBC's live programming) if the BBC announce the deficit is lower than the £1.5billion figure they have been working towards.

Its a bit rich when most of us are seeing our pensions going up the Swanney for these people who earn loads of money doing a nice cumfy job are going on strike.

I'm not sure reporting for several years from various war zones, famine striken countries and chilean deserts is particularly comfy. There's a lot more to a television journalist's job than sitting in an office, answering a few emails and browsing Facebook.

We pay for them to be able to retire at 60 on a full final salary pensiion.

Not now you don't. The pensions are now being paid out at career average salary, which will be a significant reduction in pension for most (if not all) staff.

Not now you don't. The pensions are now being paid out at career average salary, which will be a significant reduction in pension for most (if not all) staff.

It'll still be very nice. I work in IT and a quick look at IT jobs sites shows just how the BBC overpay. That averge salary in IT for The BBC is £42,000 with 90% of IT staff earning over £30,000. Final salary or average salary, it's going to add up to a pretty penny on those numbers.

Also, you say it's not an easy job to be reporting from war zones, well I bet they get paid a fortune for that.

In fact, because Im now interested I've just done a search to see how much BBC jornalists get paid.

A quick web search shows that a newsreader called Carrie Gracie who sometimes reads the news on digital BBC News station gets £92,000 a year. She's not even a household name!!

Archived