Student protest, London 10 November

Tony

The IFS aren't lefty but the guardian is, and they make their money by putting a lefty spin on things, so of course they want to portray the conservatives in a poor light.

They supported the LibDems prior to the election.... you know the people in Govt... but the editorial stance of the Guardian is irrelevant anyway. They are simply reporting on what the IFS have said.

Including that the poor are paying 6 times more than the rich.

Palpably false. A person with an income of zero can take the loans, go to University, and will never have to repay a penny unless they end up on a good income.

So go to university and then be doomed to a life of poverty because it's unlikely people will get a decent wage. I repay my loan each month but the amount I pay does not even cover the interest. I'm a proud person and like to pay my way, but on my civil service wage that just isn't possible and considering Im going to be unemployed soon, the government will have to wait even longer to get its money back. Even if and when I get a new job, the chances are I will not be able to make a dent in my loan. I'm not the other person either.

You've not seen "the" pictures. You've seen "some" pictures of students acting like animals. "The" pictures of students protesting peacefully will be filed away in a box marked 'dull'. This is the art of spin.

Its not our fault that the students have damaged property, and causing chaos. Its there own fault, and like anything you are only as good as you are at your worst.

They supported the LibDems prior to the election.... you know the people in Govt... but the editorial stance of the Guardian is irrelevant anyway. They are simply reporting on what the IFS have said.

Including that the poor are paying 6 times more than the rich.

If the poor can afford to pay 6 times as much as the rich then logically they can't be very poor.

I'm pretty skint and I can't pay a fraction of the taxes the rich pay, let alone six times what they pay.

if she hadn't had the opportunity to go to university her life would probably have been very different, and the prospect of all that debt will put a lot of people off. But the Tories hate the working class getting above their station and want to shut them out.

Actually Teafan, I once thought that there was quite a close correlation between the demand for university education and the impending cost of it for prospective students. When fees were originally introduced, I admit that I had an expectation that student numbers would fall quite sharply overall. In fact, the very opposite happened (there is an economic theory which could explain this, but i won't bore you with it). I have yet to see any convincing evidence that things are about to change. I sometimes wish they would, because the rapid expansion of the higher education sector has, in my view, diluted the overall quality of university education and also the value of degree qualifications.

You've not seen "the" pictures. You've seen "some" pictures of students acting like animals. "The" pictures of students protesting peacefully will be filed away in a box marked 'dull'. This is the art of spin.

Just what happened when I was on student protests in the late 80s.

The police created a riot for the cameras by attacking us on horses hospitalising people about half an hour before we were due to get on our coaches and go home.

If the poor can afford to pay 6 times as much as the rich then logically they can't be very poor.

I'm pretty skint and I can't pay a fraction of the taxes the rich pay, let alone six times what they pay.

1% NI, 0% student load contributions, and having benefited from cheap property and plenty of ways of avoiding tax imposed by themselves. :roll:

The context is fairness.

The poor are paying 6 times more as a proportion of their income as a result of the ConDem budget.

Archived