Student protest, London 10 November

Tony

Just what happened when I was on student protests in the late 80s.

The police created a riot for the cameras by attacking us on horses hospitalising people about half an hour before we were due to get on our coaches and go home.

It is the usual tactics of the police when governed by a fascist regime like the present one.

You go to University, you come out with debts, I have student debts and face 30 years of repayments, so do hundreds of thousands of others and I pay mine back on income over £15k not £21k, so i'm having to pay back double per month (on the income i'm on) than a student will have to in future. I agree though that we do need to be encouraging people to go to university but this needs to be balanced with sustainability

The big difference is that we currently pay 9% of anything over 15k and on average men pay off in 13 years and women 17. The new proposals have graduates paying 9% of everything when they earn 21k with obviously much more debt and higher interest rates to boot.

For instance if you were on 25k now you'd pay £900 pa whereas a future graduate will pay £2250 and a higher rate of interest for much longer obviously.

The context is fairness.

The poor are paying 6 times more as a proportion of their income as a result of the ConDem budget.

Well I've not noticed it. I'm probably bottom of the heap as far as being poor is concerned, self employed, no kids, make about 15 grand a year after expenses, not entitled to any benefits. The major change i've seen is the increase in the 0% tax threshold (and commitments to raise it over time to around £10K)

That will make a big difference for me and more than cover the cost of the VAT increase.

How am I paying 6 times more than the rich?

Archived