Student protest, London 10 November

Tony

Student debt exceeds the price most students parents paid for a house.

Homeowners are going to be losing tens of thousands now their potential customers are being condemned to lower and lower wages.

They are going to struggle to afford to live, let alone pay 50% of the 2007 value of your house.

And there are a lot less youth to buy houses than elders whom own them in the first place, let alone pay the pensions.

Were in for a few hard decades.

The age of free or cheap anything has come to an end in Britain!...........Free education for essentials I agree with,but half the courses are not essential and should not expect to be subsidized by the long suffering taxpayer.

Who decides what the essential courses are though? And once you have a selection of free courses, won't that just attract larger numbers of students to those courses, more than the number of jobs can support, meaning even more graduates have useless degrees?

Who decides what the essential courses are though? And once you have a selection of free courses, won't that just attract larger numbers of students to those courses, more than the number of jobs can support, meaning even more graduates have useless degrees?

Not if you establish the number of places on the courses and make entry competitive. That would drive standards up.

It isn't everyday that I agree with mossdog, but the idea of free universal HE is pie in the sky. There is a national interest element though.

For those from less well-off families, the thought of graduating with this sort of level debt is enough to put you off. I know it would put ME off. If fees alone are £9,000 a year, add to that your living expenses and students will be graduating with at least £40,000 of debt. With no help from mummy and daddy, this will significantly affect the direction life takes. Will they be able to afford a car, a mortgage? Will they be put off further study (which may be of benefit to society) because of the fear of more debt? Will they deliberately take a lower paid job (and pay less tax) in order to delay repaying fees? And lets not forget, when these plans were originally unveilled, the rate at which you paid back was earnings of £25K. Now it is reported as £21K. How long before it is £18K? Or £12K?

Put you off if you knew the subject you were studying wouldn't help you gain a good career. For those who are going to knuckle down and study a worthwhile subject which will lead to a career then it won't put off. I suppose we could see it as a worthy filter.

This protest will solve absolutely nothing, especially now it has turned into a bit of a riot.

You have to wonder if any of that is deliberate action by those who want the protests to accomplish nothing. :?

People have had enough of this micky mouse government. They are NOT a proper government and must be removed at any cost. Some of the police are causing it by being really violent.

The whole parliamentary system is past its use by date and should be removed and replaced with something fit for the 21st Century.

How does that tally with having to pay 9% of your earnings back when you're earning significantly less than the national average wage?

I believe you do not start paying until you are over the national average. Even then, you pay 9% of what you earn above the national average.

i.e. if nat-av is £18k, and you eard £20k, then you pay 9% of £2k = £180/annum (or £3.46/week).

Student debt exceeds the price most students parents paid for a house.

Homeowners are going to be losing tens of thousands now their potential customers are being condemned to lower and lower wages.

They are going to struggle to afford to live, let alone pay 50% of the 2007 value of your house.

And there are a lot less youth to buy houses than elders whom own them in the first place, let alone pay the pensions.

Were in for a few hard decades.

Well the housing market is vastly overvalued ,so a return to more realistic affordable levels would seem to make sense!

How does that tally with having to pay 9% of your earnings back when you're earning significantly less than the national average wage? People from better-off families can afford to take more risks than those from poorer families, and I think that's what will put people from poorer families off - it becomes more of a gamble.

But in most cases they won't be earning less than the average wage for long. I suspect that the vast bulk of people now earning double the average wage or more are graduates.

Archived