Student protest, London 10 November

Tony

Not really I wouldn't want to think of anyone struggling to pay for food paying towards my further education.

They don't pay for your education exactly. They pay tax, and it goes into a big pot and gets sent to where it is needed. I thought you smarter than this.

Using your logic, people struggling to eat are buying nuclear bombs and people struggling to turn their radiators on are paying millionaire politicians a big pension too.

Uni however should be a privilege granted to the academically gifted

Completely, yes. But education should be available to all who want it. Reform the Higher Education system to give more options. Cheaper options, shorter options, options where one can work and study at the same time.

They don't pay for your education exactly. They pay tax, and it goes into a big pot and gets sent to where it is needed. I thought you smarter than this.

Using your logic, people struggling to eat are buying nuclear bombs and people struggling to turn their radiators on are paying millionaire politicians a big pension too.

They are. The poor get more out than they put in but they are still paying towards these things.

I just don't agree with everything being free. Unis have to be funded and I don't see anything wrong with the people that benefit from the degree paying for them.

Sorry but I just disagree with you.

Completely, yes. But education should be available to all who want it. Reform the Higher Education system to give more options. Cheaper options, shorter options, options where one can work and study at the same time.

cheaper and shorter options will result in dumbing down the degrees even further. The degrees should remain as they are, possibly becoming harder. I think you are actually requesting a return to polytechnics etc which I completely agree with. With evening courses and part time courses which would obviously cost far less than a degree. I guess the problem came when polytechnics were converted to become second/third class unis, instead of great colleges.

If the student union want to condemn the violence yesterday the students union could pay for the damage caused and campaign to expel those students from their universities who were involved in causing violence and destruction.

If there is that much evidence as to who it was then surely they ought to be prosecuted and compensation for the damage paid through the courts.

Archived