Student protest, London 10 November

Tony

because at the moment it is written off after I think 30 years and according to the bbc now it will be written off after 25 and you will start paying it off at a significantly higher salary. I don't need to show you anything:huh:

Anyone working as a secretary at £15k will be paying nothing. If they never get a higher wage they will never pay anything. It will just be written off.

Please reread as it's the other way round.

You said "Actually it will be written of earlier" and I asked you to prove it as I'm sure it wont. For instance, if you leave uni with £37,500 of debt and get a pay rise of 3% a year you'll have paid off £33,217 over 30 years and be writing off £56,199.

People earning pittance wont pay it, yes that's fine but most people dont go to uni to settle for 15k for life. What would 15k get someone anyway, not a house, not a car, would require benefits to raise a family, not exactly what people set out for when going into higher education.

********, that's the job of government, to share the pie properly. If they need a bigger pie they can (and are) raise taxes or become more efficient in the way it's spent. Shifting the costs onto those who use a service or privatising is not a way to become more effiicient btw it's cutting and running.

There arent enough jobs to go around. Period. That's due to the state of our economy, which will need graduates in the private sector to pull us out of since the public sector will be shrinking. How clear's clealy anyway? There's plenty of management level people in the workplace without degrees who could be replaced by better qualified graduates, it's just a shame the law makes it incredibly difficult to get rid of people due to performance.

People pay to send their kids to private school, does that make the kids work harder or their parents put more pressure on them to? Nope. People dont go to university now and choose a subject as it looks easiest or least likely to be of use in the future.

In a round about way that was my point. I do think it tends to be the rich kids from the UK that do media studies. You don't see the students that have to pay £20k a year doing it because its a worthless degree. Charging more may prevent people from going for the dumbed down options just to have 3 years drinking and not too much work.

In a round about way that was my point. I do think it tends to be the rich kids from the UK that do media studies. You don't see the students that have to pay £20k a year doing it because its a worthless degree. Charging more may prevent people from going for the dumbed down options just to have 3 years drinking and not too much work.

Perhaps it might put some people off but it's not worth excusing saddling everyone else with debt and preventing those from poorer backgrounds going just for their sake?

Please reread as it's the other way round.

You said "Actually it will be written of earlier" and I asked you to prove it as I'm sure it wont. For instance, if you leave uni with £37,500 of debt and get a pay rise of 3% a year you'll have paid off £33,217 over 30 years and be writing off £56,199.

People earning pittance wont pay it, yes that's fine but most people dont go to uni to settle for 15k for life. What would 15k get someone anyway, not a house, not a car, would require benefits to raise a family, not exactly what people set out for when going into higher education.

The amount has nothing to do with when it will get written off.

no people should expect to be paying it back but if they never get a good job they won't pay anything.

The barrier is currently £15k but it is being raised to £21k I think.

Perhaps it might put some people off but it's not worth excusing saddling everyone else with debt and preventing those from poorer backgrounds going just for their sake?

its not preventing anyone from going. It is expecting that when they are in a well paid job they will start to pay back the loan at a very reasonable rate and with very reasonable conditions.

its not preventing anyone from going. It is expecting that when they are in a well paid job they will start to pay back the loan at a very reasonable rate and with very reasonable conditions.

That's the crux of the matter isnt it, is paying 9% of everything you earn over 21k until you're 51+ reasonable on top of paying 20% income, 12% NI, 20% VAT, 4% state pension and 3-6% private pension?

That's the crux of the matter isnt it, is paying 9% of everything you earn over 21k until you're 51+ reasonable on top of paying 20% income, 12% NI, 20% VAT, 4% state pension and 3-6% private pension?

But its quite deserved for people who take crap lightweight degress to then become a secretary on 13k a year. Why waste time and money - perhaps more people will think seriously about the true purpose of further education.

Its not a 3 year gap break from finding a job, i recall people who were "professional students" when i was taking my degree.

Archived