Do mature students pay tuition fees?

I am 27 and considering going back to uni to do a degree. I work shifts so I could probably combine this while working around my job. I'm just wondering if mature students have to pay tuition fees as I have found conflicting information about this. I have been to uni before and didn't finish my course, but I am just a bit fed up at work at the moment and fancy a bit of a change and maybe doing a degree will give me a chance to do something new.

The best place is possibly direct.gov as it is the government site. Alot of people will curse me for suggesting listening to the government but it is the official stance.

You will probably have to pay tuition fees but the level of financial support you can get is based on various factors such as education level, income etc.

The best place is possibly direct.gov as it is the government site. Alot of people will curse me for suggesting listening to the government but it is the official stance.

You will probably have to pay tuition fees but the level of financial support you can get is based on various factors such as education level, income etc.

I tried direct.gov for information on on financial support and how grants affect benefits, they could give me any definite answers only "it looks as though...." answers.

On the other hand look at the information on the ALG (Adult Learner Grant). It wont pay your fees, but it might help. If I remember rightly you can claim it once and it lasts a year.

I tried direct.gov for information on on financial support and how grants affect benefits, they could give me any definite answers only "it looks as though...." answers.

That's because what you have typed in is not definitive information; the DWP cannot be certain that you'll enter the same numbers on the application form, so they cannot be certain that the results are accurate.

If you know that what you typed in is accurate, then you know what the answers will be.

Yes. I am a mature student. Grants are available on a means tested basis, dependent upon your household's earnings, both for fees or books etc. There is also a pot of money available from each University for hardship grants etc. If you are a full time student, you would be the same as any other student, in that your fees would be deferred until after you graduate, and you get a loan to cover it. If you are wanting to study part - time, fees are paid up-front (at the moment, this may well change), but - at my uni anyway - the course fees are only around 50% of an equivelent full time course. If you go on your Uni website they should have information regarding course fees, and who to/ how to apply for grants. Good Luck.

Just re-read your post, if you are working particularly full time) you will most probably be eligible for the full fee level.

There are some courses that have a mandatory grant to cover tuition fees, whether you're 18 or 80 taking them and whether they're part time or full. These include things like teaching qualifications. What are you thinking of studying?

Archived