Daily Mail criticises councils for saving money

The Daily Mail is carrying a headline today criticising councils for dimming street lights to save money.

Funny that, I thought the idea was for councils to save money, 30% of their budgets over the next 4 years to be precise. I know it's only the Daily Mail, but I think it illustrates a wider point: it's a myth that councils employ thousands of people in non-jobs, and that 30% cut is going to be very noticeable. Lots of services are going to disappear or be very severely reduced, and those are services that a lot of people depend on. When Sheffield City Council sets its budget in December the reality is going to hit and people will not be happy.

I don't think anyone thinks any individual council employs people in non-jobs.

I also don't think it is a myth that councils are not very efficient.

It's also poorly understood that councils have had to make significant efficiency savings over the last 10 years. If they were faced with 30% cuts 10 years ago it would have been a lot more achievable without hitting front line services. Certainly locally there are still too many middle managers, but it remains to be seen whether the Yellow Tories running SCC will ensure that any job cuts are made at that tier, or whether too many of those managers live in the Hallam ward.

It's also poorly understood that councils have had to make significant efficiency savings over the last 10 years. If they were faced with 30% cuts 10 years ago it would have been a lot more achievable without hitting front line services.

Good! Although really it shouldn't be even slightly easy for anyone to make 30% cuts, should it?

But, needs must and all that. I know of self-employed people who have had an income reduction of 75% or so in the recession, and they were only earning the same as a middle management type at the council previously. You just have to carry on if you're self employed though.

Perhaps if more council employees took a pay cut the services could continue as normal and none of the staff would lose their jobs. It won't happen though.

Perhaps if more council employees took a pay cut the services could continue as normal and none of the staff would lose their jobs. It won't happen though.

While £100bn of UK money is evading tax in numbered Swiss bank accounts and bankers who received billions of our money are getting massive bonuses? Good luck selling that one!

Good! Although really it shouldn't be even slightly easy for anyone to make 30% cuts, should it?

But, needs must and all that. I know of self-employed people who have had an income reduction of 75% or so in the recession, and they were only earning the same as a middle management type at the council previously. You just have to carry on if you're self employed though.

I know several public sector workers unemployed now. Trumps your evidence!

Archived