Should the people who benefited from free university PAY

Oh! do try extricating your cranium from your rear Mecky!................it's just the same old thing you bang on about again and again and again!...........if only you could hear yourself!

That's because it's right and you know it is. That's the only comeback you have.

I was away from home recently, and because I was staying in a hotel, I had very early morning news on the tv, and when the story of students having to pay massive fees was first leaked, they had this Tory spokesperson on, I wish I had taken more notice of his name.As the interview unfolded, he became more and more pompous, and the interviewer asked him, that if these plans were to go ahead, what would happen to all the gifted clever children from working class families who wanted to go to university, and do you know what the awful git said ?....

'Well, they will fill all the manual jobs in industry, while those who can pay for an education will make use of it in top jobs, helping to run the country'

I almost choked . He has no idea of the real world.

Be interesting to know how much money an extra 1p in the £ in tax for pre-1990 (i.e. before student loans were introduced) grads would raise.

Looking at my circumstances and having attended two courses fully funded by the tax payer I would be happy to pay that. From now until my retirement it would be a contribution of £10,000+ on my current earnings. Appropriate and fair I would have thought.

I was away from home recently, and because I was staying in a hotel, I had very early morning news on the tv, and when the story of students having to pay massive fees was first leaked, they had this Tory spokesperson on, I wish I had taken more notice of his name.As the interview unfolded, he became more and more pompous, and the interviewer asked him, that if these plans were to go ahead, what would happen to all the gifted clever children from working class families who wanted to go to university, and do you know what the awful git said ?....

'Well, they will fill all the manual jobs in industry, while those who can pay for an education will make use of it in top jobs, helping to run the country'

I almost choked . He has no idea of the real world.

Was he called "Dave" by any chance ... or "Nicholas"?

Public schools don't have a good track record of producing people with a decent grasp on reality.

I much prefer Tories who actually say what they mean though. The majority of them think like this guy, but they are programmed to say words like "opportunity" and "equality"... I blame Neil Kinnock.:)

Was he called "Dave" by any chance ... or "Nicholas"?

Public schools don't have a good track record of producing people with a decent grasp on reality.

I much prefer Tories who actually say what they mean though. The majority of them think like this guy, but they are programmed to say words like "opportunity" and "equality"... I blame Neil Kinnock.:)

When you work a lot of hours and seem to pay plenty of tax on not a lot of income you are a little less concerned about the coalition who are reducing your tax and more concerned about the proffessionally idle who are leeching your tax money like there is no tommorow.

Archived