Should the people who benefited from free university PAY

Should we be taxing those that are not accruing any fiscal benefit from their degrees?

Should the tax payer be funding these peoples education if it is of zero worth to the nation.

According t your point, we should all be entitled to a 3 year holiday at the tax payers expense.

I still think the fairest payment method is a graduate tax - applicable to all graduates immediately (including MPs, company directors and even those who graduated 50 years ago, and also writing off any outstanding debts current and recent students have) on all earnings above a nationally and annually calulated "non-graduate" salary. This means since graduates on average earn more than non-graduates - only the graduates who are earning more than the average non-graduate pay.

That just couldn't work. How could this apply to a student who paid for their education but is only a few hundred pounds away from paying off their loan?

There have been three different student loan tuition fee/living cost loan and repayment schemes over the past 12 years and consequently people are at vastly different stages of repayment. You can't wipe out the 'remaining' debt of someone that has already repaid £12,000 and tell them they have to pay it all over again with a new tax.

Should the tax payer be funding these peoples education if it is of zero worth to the nation.

According t your point, we should all be entitled to a 3 year holiday at the tax payers expense.

Only if you are smart enough to go on it.

It seems your comments are those born of the green eyed monster I fear.

How come Germany only charges £450 per year for a first class University education, but we are expected to pay £9,000?

Just wondering.

Nobody ever seems to question the figures they come up with or ask for a breakdown of charges. They just seem to pluck a figure out of the air and we meekly accept it.

How come Germany only charges £450 per year for a first class University education, but we are expected to pay £9,000?

Just wondering.

Nobody ever seems to question the figures they come up with or ask for a breakdown of charges. They just seem to pluck a figure out of the air and we meekly accept it.

The answer would seem to be that their economy is in much better shape than ours! I'm all for free this and free that to deserving cases providing the country can afford it and you are not burdening future generations with too much debt.After watching channel 4s documentery on the 4.8 trillion pound debt we owe as a country,I think we are all going to have to set new targets of realism as to what this country is now in a position to afford.Students could soon find a public backlash against their wishes before long if the country cannot afford higher education subsidies on such a scale.It is very unfortunate for todays students,but I think the numbers need to be drastically reduced anyway!then their might not be such a problem.Only a fraction of todays numbers went to university in the past,and higher education seems to be in a huge bubble that could soon burst.

Archived