Are you wearing a poppy this Rememberance day?

Every year same stuff.

The wearing of a poppy came to prominence from a poem in 1918 in response to "In Flanders Field" in which the poet swore to wear a poppy as symbol of remembrance.

The first Poppy Day(collection etc) was 1921.

I have always bought a poppy from when I was in school and everyone had them and continued to do so but didn't always wear them. Then a couple of years ago on a trip to Belgium we visited the war cemetery there, they are kept in wonderful order by the people there. I read many of the headstones and there were men and boys from all over the world, some didn't have names they just had soldier of a particular regiment on the headstone as he was only recognisable by his uniform buttons, there were children of 15 and 16 who signed by lying about their age. I don't mind admitting I was in tears and now I buy my poppy and wear it with pride and thankfulness for these people without whom we may not even be here to have this discussion.

Every year same stuff.

The wearing of a poppy came to prominence from a poem in 1918 in response to "In Flanders Field" in which the poet swore to wear a poppy as symbol of remembrance.

The first Poppy Day(collection etc) was 1921.

90 Years, I remember my great grandad, joind up at kick off. lived till 77. ace bloke.

The koran is a religious book with devout followers, a poppy is a symbolic piece of plastic.

We have similar laws for the Bible and Christianity but as a country we don't give a stuff about the law or religion.

The poppy is based in fact, and is way more important to millions more in this nation than some book. At the very least the poppy should have the same legal protection as a book from a minor religion in this country. Yes?

The poppy is based in fact, and is way more important to millions more in this nation than some book. At the very least the poppy should have the same legal protection as a book from a minor religion in this country. Yes?

No. Overboard and unneccesary.

Anyone burning poppies publically can already be arrested and dealt with under existing public order legislation.

As could anyone burning holy books.

Archived