Are you wearing a poppy this Rememberance day?

The poppy is based in fact, and is way more important to millions more in this nation than some book. At the very least the poppy should have the same legal protection as a book from a minor religion in this country. Yes?

Are there even any laws against burning religious books? I think not.

No it's based in fact, not faith as I stated. It's more important to millions in this nation alone than the Koran and that alone should give the poppy equal legal status. Yes?

Do they have any differing legal staus at present?

No it's based in fact, not faith as I stated. It's more important to millions in this nation alone than the Koran and that alone should give the poppy equal legal status. Yes?

It's based on an idea - that it represents the dead and the belief that those dead are of great value and worth.

The Koran and other holy books are based on ideas and beliefs also.

To those that believe they're of enormous value and worth.

Why is the one of any more value than the other or any less worth respect?

The koran is a religious book with devout followers, a poppy is a symbolic piece of plastic.

A book and a poppy are inanimate objects and both are symbols in their own right.

The plastic poppy is symbolic of men and women who are dead and purchased in remembrance.

The paper book/s are symbolic of a particular belief.

Both are as important, or not as a symbol.

Equal penalties?

Equal penalties for what?

There's no law specifically against burning the Koran or the poppy, but you'd probably done for behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace or something similar if you did it publically.

Are there even any laws against burning religious books? I think not.

I know people have been arrested in the UK for burning korans in public or posting videos of it on youtube, i think the rationale was inciting religious hatred. I'm not sure if the arrests resulted in convictions though.

I know people have been arrested in the UK for burning korans in public or posting videos of it on youtube, i think the rationale was inciting religious hatred. I'm not sure if the arrests resulted in convictions though.

That sounds reasonable.

It's based on an idea - that it represents the dead and the belief that those dead are of great value and worth.

The Koran and other holy books are based on ideas and beliefs also.

To those that believe they're of enormous value and worth.

Why is the one of any more value than the other or any less worth respect?

Did I say that? Equal status under the law is what I ask for. Due to the poppies importance to tens of millions in this nation alone.

Archived