Are you wearing a poppy this Rememberance day?

I do not always wear my poppy but always donate to the British Legion and try if possible to observe the 2 minute silence while at work.

I can understand John Snow's point of view, just because you do not wear a symbol of your donation it does not mean you do not care.

Unfortunately with so many good causes nowadays it does sometimes lead to so called "charity fatique", and some charity collectors are overly pushy though I must say I have never had that from the British Legion collectors

Where have the trenches been dug as I would like to visit them

The trenches are on Quarry Hill, Roper's Hill and Hill 60 above Redmires reservoirs to the west of Sheffield xxx

I don't always wear a poppy but i always donate.

The poppy reminds me of everything to goverment has done wrong but i shall remember those lost and those still serving as cannon fodder to the elite in their terror games.

I'm not sure. I have in previous years, however, I think that as we are at war now, and the British Legion has rightly made its campaign more up to date, focusing on the loss of servicemen and their families serving now, I feel more uncomfortable about it, as if supporting the poppy appeal is somehow supporting the wars in Iraq / Afghanistan, which I protested against.

However, there are charities such as the War Memorials Trust and I shall probably donate something to one of those just to do my bit.

Like the OP I am conflicted about wearing a poppy.

My conflict originates with my grandfather. He fought (underage) in the First World War and was badly wounded. He regarded the fact that ex-soldiers had to depend on charity because government totally failed to support them as a national disgrace. He died prematurely when I was 10 (the crude anaesthetics had damaged his kidneys) so I never had a chance to discuss it with him as an adult .

So some years I wear a poppy to honour the war dead and some years I refrain to honour my grandfather.

No - why do i need to. I contribute to the collection tins, if i took a poppy every time i'd be wearing dozens of them.

I'll watch the tv service with a lump in my throat as always.

Why do i need others to know that i care.

Archived