Are you wearing a poppy this Rememberance day?

I was pleased to see that someone had bumped this thread in order to discuss differing views on the relevance or otherwise of the wearing the Poppy and our thoughts of our armed forces who have given their lives for our freedom, only to find that yet again it has been taken over by the Muslim/Koran mania that pervades far too many threads and has spoiled so many discussions on this forum.

I would add that I will be wearing the Poppy to show my respect for the sacrifices made in order for me and my family to live in a free country. I usually buy mine from the stand outside Sainsburys in Crystal Peaks but it isn't there this year or am I too early for them?

What utter tosh.

Actually, it's 100% factual.

Just because you think it means more, doesn't mean it does.

Yes one has deep meaning to around 50 plus million people in this nation alone.

Are you sure about that (bearing in mind that there were just over 26,000,000 sold last year, nothing like the 50,000,000 you claim).

You are totally wrong.

Show us some proof then.

Another load of tripe and insults pathetic.

Indeed, your post is.

I'll be sporting one, my car sports one all year round, and I'll be laying a poppy up at the site of the WWI training trenches dug by Sheffield City Battalion this week.

To me, our troops deserve our respect and support as they are not political - they are pawns who do as they are instructed by the Government at the time, and therefore should not be punished for being involved in action which we, the public, may disapprove of.

Our troops have no say in where they go to fight and sometimes die.

There ya go, that's my two-penneth! xxx

Very well said.

The wearing of a poppy also shows the widows, children and families of service personnel killed or maimed that we as a nation appreciate what has been sacrificed.

Individuals may suffer the loss alone every day but this symbolism once a year shows they are not alone in remembering their lost loved ones.

My own aunt was married, widowed and a mother all in one year. My cousin was born 1 month after her father was killed.

Archived