Are you wearing a poppy this Rememberance day?

Please don't mis-quote John Snow. He isn't a non-poppy wearer. he said he wanted the choice to wear one WHEN he wanted to (ie. today, and not the whole month of November as decreed by the BBC). And good for him. It's a free country (thanks to those servicemen and women who have given their lives) and we can all choose to Remember how we choose to. I don't think "enforced" wearing of poppies is in any way respectful. We all know that people on the BBC are wearing them because they have to, not because they choose to. When we see John Snow wearing his today (as he said he will be) we will know it is because he has put thought into it.

And yes, I'm wearing mine today, and I've sent my daughter to school wearing hers.

I wear a Poppy to remember the soldiers who have preserved our democracy and freedom, whether that has been in WW1, WW2, Falklands, Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan or any of the places British troops have seen action.

If it wasn't for brave men and women like that, this forum wouldn't exist, and you wouldn't be allowed to express your views or exercise your right to wear, or not to wear, a Poppy.

Thought for the day: Since WW2 There has been just one year ( 1968 ) when a member of the British armed forced was not killed on active service.

I won't be wearing one as I don't appreciate having charities rammed down my throat.

And I wear one but probably wouldn't if they did a "hard sell" on them. I got asked 8 times to donate on breast cancer day. I may be a miserable get, but it annoyed me. I've not been asked once to buy a poppy, I go and buy them of my own free uncoerced will.

Like the OP I am conflicted about wearing a poppy.

My conflict originates with my grandfather. He fought (underage) in the First World War and was badly wounded. He regarded the fact that ex-soldiers had to depend on charity because government totally failed to support them as a national disgrace. He died prematurely when I was 10 (the crude anaesthetics had damaged his kidneys) so I never had a chance to discuss it with him as an adult .

So some years I wear a poppy to honour the war dead and some years I refrain to honour my grandfather.

I agree with your grandfathers sentiments. The government decide on our behalf where and when we go to war. They should then pay for and support (also on our behalf) soldiers who return from these wars.

Ive been wearing mine for the last couple of weeks.

I won't be wearing one as I don't appreciate having charities rammed down my throat.

You will never see the British Legion ramming their charity down your throat as you put it, as the people selling the poppies are a different breed of people they are doing it purely to raise money for the charity. They aren't harassing anyone making them sign up to donate each month so they get comission for the amount they sign up. That is the difference between the nice old chap stood wearing his medals smiling at people and the ones with clipboards chasing you around town.

Archived