Are you wearing a poppy this Rememberance day?

You don't believe WW1 & 2 happened ?

Now that was a silly question.

you wouldnt be enjoying the freedoms of this country if it wasnt for the people who have died to protect our country

Does that stop me believing it isnt right? Sending people to other conutries to get shot etc etc. Its always bugged me how our world deals with conflicts and problems. Oh lets just start a war or lets attack/invade someone.

This is something I sometimes get told when I'm collecting for the Poppy Appeal.

We don't believe in war either, but do you seriously think that we should have no soldiers, and just open our borders to any enemy who cared to waltz in?

Yes, I mean the Army does have its place in society, but there must be a more appropriate way of tackling situations rather than invading a country that has 'weapons of mass destruction' for example, which they didn't.

We dont need to get into a debate about whether its right or not its just my prerogative.

Now that was a silly question.

Not really, IMO wearing a poppy indicates you're remember the dead of previous wars, it doens't mean "yes, I love war, lets have more of them", you can "not believe in war" and still remember the people who died in the ones we've already had.

Curious. I always considered and used Remembrance Day and Sunday interchangeably.

November 11th we call Armistice Day.

I think it used to be known universally as Armistice Day until after WWII when many countries changed it to remember the fallen in both wars, and subsequently in any conflict - that's what my Dad told me anyway!

Archived