Protest against benefit changes

I would not think that the assessors are all heartless people! I think like you and I they will soon know who is swinging the lead and who isn't!

Mossdog, how long would you guess the medical assessment for Employment Support Allowance (replaced incapacity benefit) lasts?

I'm on Incapacity Benefit, there's periods i'm capable of going out and trying for work, there's other times I seriously am not, e.g. incapacitated.

I have undertaken volunteer work numerous times, generally because I don't want to let down a business leaving them in the leach (and maybe contributing to others losing their jobs).

The government is about to lump me (and those on disability) in the same category of shame as those who are just unemployed. I put it that way because those who are there temporarily are working hard to find work because they don't want to be there, whilst there's the mass of others who are as they say 'work shy'.

I don't have much dignity or pride (I will not go on!), soon i'll have absolutely none...

Mossdog, how long would you guess the medical assessment for Employment Support Allowance (replaced incapacity benefit) lasts?
I don't know! but after watching the one and a half hour documentary"Britains trillion pounds debt"....4.8 trillion to be precise,on channel 4,I think if I was a welfare claimant or student or anybody else hoping for a handout, I would think twice!

This country is in far worse a state than most people realise,and the apathy of lots of people is amazing.The upshot of the program was that the cuts proposed by the Coalition are by no means deep enough,and we are still having to borrow far more than we are earning as a country.The ways of the old Labour government have gone and a new system needs to replace it.Time will tell if the Coalition can remain strong enough in front of misguided opposition to bring about much needed change.

Obama is patently failing is his mission in the US,as most experts agreed that Q E and huge expansion of non manufacturing jobs is just taking us into the jaws of the eastern dragon!

Between 10 and 15 minutes I've heard. Suppose it depends how bad someone's health is?

Would you say that's long enough for someone who's never met the claimant before and whose first language is not English (many of the ATOS assessors are from Eastern Europe) to get enough of an understanding of someone's health condition that they can confidently overrule the opinion of that person's GP who may have known them for years?

I don't know! but after watching the one and a half hour documentary"Britains trillion pounds debt"....4.8 trillion to be precise,on channel 4,I think if I was a welfare claimant or student or anybody else hoping for a handout, I would think twice!

It's about 20 minutes. See post above.

Do you really think that for people who are genuinely ill and have had to give up work that claiming is a choice that they can think twice about? Really? What else do you expect them to do?

Would you say that's long enough for someone who's never met the claimant before and whose first language is not English (many of the ATOS assessors are from Eastern Europe) to get enough of an understanding of someone's health condition that they can confidently overrule the opinion of that person's GP who may have known them for years?

You have highlighted an important issue and I would ask why many of the ATOS assessors are from Eastern Europe ?

It doesn't matter how worthy the vast majority are, the country is broke and the benefits system is flawed. It needs reforming and it needs to end up cheaper than before.

Why then are we implementing a benefit system that is estimated to cost £6 billion more? It seems to those on the outside that the Tories just like to see people suffering.

You have highlighted an important issue and I would ask why many of the ATOS assessors are from Eastern Europe ?

Been there, done that , got the t shirt. These assesors from Eastern Europe do the job because -: [A ] they are cheap and They do as their masters tell them.

I was refused despite having cancer and arthritis. My GP, my consultant and my oncologist were all disgusted. So was the barrister at the appeal, he could only use the criteria laid down by the DWP and he actually APOLOGISED to me.

A British medic would not do the kind of job the DWP expect. They have principles.

I told the DWP to stick their paltry £64 a week and work part time, often in discomfort, but I maintain my self esteem.

Archived