Work hard but still skint!

There will always be small savings that you can make on your monthly expenses to make more money available for leisure. However if you have a degree and experience then in almost any field you should be able to eventually progress to a level where you earn at least something close to the average wage. When that happens you will have much more money to spend on nice things every month.

I work full time earning £14K, have a mortgage, a child etc.... and am constantly frustrated about how skint I am. I sometimes wonder if it is just me or if other people struggle as much as I do. At the end of the month, once all bills are paid I'm lucky if I have £50 spare for clothes, a social life or luxuries. I'm interested in knowing if it is just me or does everyone else share this frustration?

Surplus labour, the ultimate source of capitalist profits.

The OP seems to understand that they have chosen a course in life that is not financially enriching but is in other ways. If that's what they value fair play to them.

As for making things better I don't think I can recommend the MSE website enough - follow the sound advice in all areas of your spending and you might be surprised where you can free up some surplus cash to enjoy.

Also if you are disciplined, have reasonable maths and can follow a spreadsheet someone else has created the Matched Betting thread on MSE Forums is good as a one of source of a few hundred pounds+. Read the FAQ and see if it sounds worth a few hours of your time - I did it one summer and made nearly £1,000 pounds from the simple freebies before getting bored with the more awkward free offers.

Archived