Have you ever found something and kept it?

scoop

To be honest i would always hand things in if i found them as i know that if i lost something i would be gutted if someone found it and kept it. Although if it was just a tenner or something in the street, i'm not sure how you could be sure that anyone claiming it had genuinely lost it, its not like they could prove it......guess its a matter of trust.....

Many years ago I remember my Daughter rushing in the house clinging to a Tenner she had found outside our front door shouting "I'm rich, I'm rich".

I took it off her, placed it on the mantlepiece with strict instuctions that if any family member saw anyone looking for anything outside, they were to ask what they were looking for.

I also told the daughter that if after two weeks it was still on the mantlepiece she could have it.

Longest two weeks she endured.

But it got the message across that finders doesn't mean keepers.

£280 and the rest of the contents of someones rucksack on Park square and a bag in Argos last Christmas, a few weeks back someones blackberry.

First two handed in at West Bar, the phone was reunited by contacting the blokes phone contacts.

My mate found a false arm at Glastonbury. !

Found a wallet outside the George at Woodhouse, contacted the owner by looking through and finding a number on a mobile top up card. He gave me £10 reward, he was really please to get it back, he showed me the photos of his wife in the wallet, she had passed away years ago. I could tell he wanted those photos back more than anything in the world.

I was in a shop once and a bloke in front of me dropped a roll of fifty pound notes. He moved off and I picked it upm he didn't see me and I could have walked away with it but I tapped him on the shoulder and he was quite rude almost shouting what at me, until I pointed out he had dropped his roll of money. He was nice then and explained it was his christmas present and shopping money. I should have kept it really, his kids would have learned that it's not all about presents and I would have been helping them.

I once found a mobile phone on a seat on a bus on my way into town, handed it in to the driver, but he didn't look the least bit interested, i often wonder if he even bothered to hand it in to the garage or wherever...

[My bold]

That could have been because it's such a common occurrence. A couple of months back I contacted First about a lost mobile, for the daughter of a friend, and was told that the depot where they keep lost property resembled Carphone Warehouse - they had thousands of the things.

Oddly enough, I also lost my own mobile a few weeks back and the kind person who found it rang my home landline (number stored on the mobile) and I was able to go and fetch it. I saw this as payback for all the lost property I've handed in over the years - you reap what you sow and all that.

My OH found an iPod last year which had obviously just been dropped as it was raining and the iPod was dry, but despite taking the numbers of the tram and bus which were at our stops at the time, reporting the item found to both the bus and tram operators' lost and found offices and the police, and posting notices in the shops local to where it was found and on an assortment of forums we never heard anything from the iPod's owner.

It's in a box and has never been used since it was found. It just doesn't feel right using it because it's not ours.

What type is it and how much do you want for it?

Archived