The Blake Hotel, Blake St

cleveland

It was a shop and off licence years ago

[/b]

not wanting to be a big head but I think they are corbels, the ones opposite the Blake are particularly noticable as they have been painted such to highlight them. Love the Blake by the way - congrats and good luck to James and his team

Thanks. Oddly enough, I first heard of corbels this week when searching Ebay for something to hold up my dodgy floating shelves.

Can you remember what year this was?

I used to live just below the Blake and it was always a pub then.

It first opened in the 1800s around 1879.

I certainly remember the shop was there in the early '80's when Len Higgins was the landlord at the Blake.

Yes, get the 31 from the interchanges in town or Hillsborough. Bus drops you 1 minute walk over Ruskin Park.

31 doesn't run that often - get the 95 and get off the stop after Commonside - less than 5 mins walk down Fulton Road / Daniel Hill Street to the Blake.

Many years ago I used to live on Blake Street and in weather such as this attempting to go down Blake St in weather like we have now needed courage and a skinfull and a so the pub was useful :)

Of course, going up Blake Street in this weather required crampons :)

So it was a shop at the same time as the pub?

Did Len run the shop as well?

The shop was run by an old couple and as far as I know when they retired the shop was converted to a house (late '80's? it was after I'd moved).

The old feller always used to tell the yarn that in the days when Blake Street was cobbled he had a standing bet with any of the local folk that if they could cycle up Blake Street he'd give them a pound and had never paid out.

Archived