Pub crawl in the early 80's

Blueeyes46

My friends and I - a small group of teenage girls aged between 16-18 - would go to town on a pub crawl most Saturday nights. It was easier to get served underage in town - they were less vigilant than local pubs and the landlords didn't know our parents!

We always followed the same route and had just one drink in every pub. I'm talking mid-late 1970's here, so many of these pubs will be gone, or re-jigged and renamed by now. We'd get off the 18 bus in Campo Lane and start in the Blue Bell opposite the bus stop, then it was Dove and Rainbow, Stonehouse, Three Tuns,  Pig & Whistle, Cambridge, Barleycorn, Yorkshireman, Brown Bear, finishing up in the Mulberry - because we could get the last 13 or 14 bus home from directly outside. Sounds like a lot of pubs for one night, but lasses mostly drank halves those days, not pints like now. We'd have a half of bitter if the pub sold decent beer and half of lager and lime if the beer was rubbish.

The beer was mostly rubbish in town centre pubs, but I remember that the Yorkshireman and the Brown Bear had good ale.

35 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

My friends and I - a small group of teenage girls aged between 16-18 - would go to town on a pub crawl most Saturday nights. It was easier to get served underage in town - they were less vigilant than local pubs and the landlords didn't know our parents!

We always followed the same route and had just one drink in every pub. I'm talking mid-late 1970's here, so many of these pubs will be gone, or re-jigged and renamed by now. We'd get off the 18 bus in Campo Lane and start in the Blue Bell opposite the bus stop, then it was Dove and Rainbow, Stonehouse, Three Tuns,  Pig & Whistle, Cambridge, Barleycorn, Yorkshireman, Brown Bear, finishing up in the Mulberry - because we could get the last 13 or 14 bus home from directly outside. Sounds like a lot of pubs for one night, but lasses mostly drank halves those days, not pints like now. We'd have a half of bitter if the pub sold decent beer and half of lager and lime if the beer was rubbish.

The beer was mostly rubbish in town centre pubs, but I remember that the Yorkshireman and the Brown Bear had good ale.

The pub on Campo Lane near the bus stops was the Golden Ball at the Vicar Lane corner, it is now called 'Couch' (whatever they do).

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2010 at 06:37, melthebell said:

on the high street on the right, crazy daisy ish?

Yes the Crazy Daizy became the Geisha bar and the only thing Japanese about the place was it's name, a better decorated and smarter place than CD but less fun.

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

Various combinations of pubs in Walkley - Cottage, Sportsman, Crown, Florist, Palm, Rose, Top Freedom, Royal,Bottom Freedom, Firwood, Belle Vue, Bath, Blake, Heavygate.

That's a pub crawl and a half !