Parent and baby parking

leecw

im disabled [ wish i wasnt ] and i have a blue badge, ive seen lots of people park in disable spaces then run into the shops. i think there should be a crackdown on badge uses, theres lots of people that have a badge because they drive a disabled person around but still use the badge when the disabled person isnt with them, they should have their badge taken from them and fined through the courts. it wasnt that many years ago a well known sheffield boxer was seen parking his flash car in a disabled spot at crystal peaks then going shopping with his mates, if it was up to me i would have had his car towed.as for disabled people being fat, if youre disabled and can only walk a short distance ect how do you keep fit i cant go to the gym or walking or even swimming so how do i keep fit. as for mother and child parking , youve carried a child for 9 months and had to walk from a parking space but now youve got a baby in a buggy suddenly you cant walk that far. disabled people are disabled through accident or medical condition your child was through accident or planned

How on earth did we manage years ago ?

I had 3 children under 5 and used a double buggy - managed very well without 'parent and child' spaces.

That said, the size of the average adult has increased greatly over the last 20 years and this may be the real reason why an extra wide space has to be provided.

I don't understand why these spaces have to be close to the building though as disabled spaces have to be. Surely they would be better placed on the periphery of the car park ? A little walking for the families could promote a more healthy life style.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 10:39 ----------

Well said.

Cars are bigger too, far bigger. Look at a mini or a fiesta now - way bigger than the original ones. The vw polo is bigger than the original golf. I'm all for roomier cars but car park spaces (I'm looking at you crystal peaks!) haven't got bigger in 20 years. Why manufactures don't provide more cars with sliding doors I don't know. Is it because joe public won't like them?

im disabled [ wish i wasnt ] and i have a blue badge, ive seen lots of people park in disable spaces then run into the shops. i think there should be a crackdown on badge uses, theres lots of people that have a badge because they drive a disabled person around but still use the badge when the disabled person isnt with them, they should have their badge taken from them and fined through the courts. it wasnt that many years ago a well known sheffield boxer was seen parking his flash car in a disabled spot at crystal peaks then going shopping with his mates, if it was up to me i would have had his car towed.as for disabled people being fat, if youre disabled and can only walk a short distance ect how do you keep fit i cant go to the gym or walking or even swimming so how do i keep fit. as for mother and child parking , youve carried a child for 9 months and had to walk from a parking space but now youve got a baby in a buggy suddenly you cant walk that far. disabled people are disabled through accident or medical condition your child was through accident or planned

I don't think i've read anyone suggesting that mother parent and baby spaces should be a short distance from the shop. In fact I've read plenty of posts saying moving it further away would be win win, freeing up spaces because people aren't abusing them.

Mother and Baby spaces IMO are purely so that there's more space to the side and behind so people can get their children out of the car and into a trolley safely and without doing damage to neighbouring cars. I guess that supermarkets and carparks have just designed them to be alongside disabled spaces to save any effort. If you park in the Cheesegrater car park then disabled spaces have been re badged as Parent parking (which are inevitably full with Range Rovers).

I agree that there should be regulations to stop people abusing the blue badge system should be introduced - but how that's possible I'm not sure. In general I see plenty of blue badge spaces and so is it a big issue as a disabled person to find a space to get parked?

This is probably going a bit off topic. Sorry.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 23:23 ----------

Cars are bigger too, far bigger. Look at a mini or a fiesta now - way bigger than the original ones. The vw polo is bigger than the original golf. I'm all for roomier cars but car park spaces (I'm looking at you crystal peaks!) haven't got bigger in 20 years. Why manufactures don't provide more cars with sliding doors I don't know. Is it because joe public won't like them?

It's not just the size of cars, but also the demand for parking.

Sliding doors are interesting. I'd happily buy a B-Max. I also wonder why they aren't more common.

The future is supermarkets perfecting online buying and click and collect. Once that becomes truly reliable and convenient then hopefully the weekly shop with become carless and we'll all be sat at our computers in 10 years time laughing at this thread.

as for mother and child parking , youve carried a child for 9 months and had to walk from a parking space but now youve got a baby in a buggy suddenly you cant walk that far. disabled people are disabled through accident or medical condition your child was through accident or planned

It's got nothing to do with how far people have to walk. Perhaps if you'd read the thread, you'd realise that!!??

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 23:52 ----------

I'd happily buy a B-Max. I also wonder why they aren't more common.

Because they're crap!

If you had "Confronted" me, I would have told you to mind your own business. No-one has to explain themselves to you.
and if I had a baby and you had taken the last space, and had you tell me to poke off, I would have left my car blocking you in whilst I shopped

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 09:14 ----------

and parking places are smaller to fit planning requirements of number parking spaces to accommodate the predicted supermarket footfall within the boundary.

It's got nothing to do with how far people have to walk. Perhaps if you'd read the thread, you'd realise that!!??

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 23:52 ----------

Because they're crap!

so why are they always situated near the enterance:mad:

i must admit some mothers with youngsters dont do there best to endear themselves to others do they? went to meadowhall yesterday plenty of spaces but opposite where i had parked some women with two kids parked directly over the dividing line taking up 2 spaces, how inconsiderate if it got busy later,parent& kids parking should be the furthest away from the shop might stop the little darlings getting un fit:thumbsup:

so why are they always situated near the enterance:mad:

Because it's safer for parents to be close to the store. I would like to see them moved further from the shops, as long as there's a safe walkway between the spaces and the shop, I don't mind walking. Although, the ideal scenario would be to leave them where they are and for lazy people without children to stop using them.

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 13:34 ----------

i must admit some mothers with youngsters dont do there best to endear themselves to others do they? went to meadowhall yesterday plenty of spaces but opposite where i had parked some women with two kids parked directly over the dividing line taking up 2 spaces, how inconsiderate if it got busy later,parent& kids parking should be the furthest away from the shop might stop the little darlings getting un fit:thumbsup:

I think the fat lazy slobs that steal parent and children spaces are the ones who need to be furthest away from the shop, if we're talking about fitness levels!!

Archived