Parent and baby parking

leecw

Not easy? Then why do they give them to people who don't need them? Same goes for the mobility scooters. I'm sure the only reason some people have them is because they are fat and lazy! I see people getting out of cars who can walk fine and they have their blue badge on display.

If you don't have a badge or a child with you, then you don't need to park in the parent and child spaces......unless you're bone idle.

I respect the fact that you feel you have medical issues, but if you can't get a disabled badge, you don't need one.

Do you also park in the disabled bays, or just the parent and child spaces?

The blue badge scheme covers all sorts of disabilities, not just ones that you can see. People may be able to walk fine, but what if they have a heart or lung condition and can`t walk very far. Hidden disabilities like that are just as disabling as the physical ones you describe

if you had any knowledge of the blue badge scheme you would know its heavily weighted towards physical impairmnets, and specific ones at that.

It might not always be obvious why someone needs a blue badge, or any form of concession but it doesn't mean its your right to judge, as that has already been done for you by the council blue badge scheme.

just because your not eligible for a blue badge doesn't make you disabled or not disabled, it just means that you don't meet the criteria, which is very specific. As an example, I would imagine most people wouldn't question someone using that space who had broken their leg, but they aren't entitled to a blue badge.

I am not entitled to a blue badge, but I am entitled to other disability related benefits. However, I can't even drive for medical reasons so a blue badge might seem a bit pointless despite that it might be useful.

It is a legacy from the starting of the blue badge scheme where only people who were considered physically impaired were considered disabled. Thankfully now our definitions have broadened to include a range of other impairments but unforutnately the benefits and concesssions schemes haven't caught up yet (and neither would it seem has some posters attitudes)

If your disability isn't psychical, and you can walk fine, you don't need a special parking space. If it is, then you should be entitled to a blue badge. Regardless, using a parent and child space just because you feel entitled to it, is just wrong.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 09:03 ----------

The blue badge scheme covers all sorts of disabilities, not just ones that you can see. People may be able to walk fine, but what if they have a heart or lung condition and can`t walk very far. Hidden disabilities like that are just as disabling as the physical ones you describe

OK, so they hand out blue badges to people who actually need them. That's a good thing. Therefore, the people who don't qualify for one, don't actually need to use the disabled parking! Glad we've cleared that up!

I dont care where they place the Parent and baby spaces, in normal spaces you dont have enought room to open the door and safely get your child out into the pram, that is the idea of having larger spots for Parent and babies.

When you have kids you may understand. . . .

How on earth did we manage years ago ?

I had 3 children under 5 and used a double buggy - managed very well without 'parent and child' spaces.

That said, the size of the average adult has increased greatly over the last 20 years and this may be the real reason why an extra wide space has to be provided.

I don't understand why these spaces have to be close to the building though as disabled spaces have to be. Surely they would be better placed on the periphery of the car park ? A little walking for the families could promote a more healthy life style.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 10:39 ----------

Don't park in the parent and child spaces though, just park in a quieter part of the car park.

I agree with all the others who've mentioned that moving them to the back with a decent pedestrian pathway would remove most of the issues with lazy people, fat people, elderly people and Range Rover drivers thinking that they're entitled to park in spaces which aren't designated for them. Parent spaces are important and helpful and they should only be used by the people entitled to use them (which is someone with a small baby or child in a pram or carseat).

Well said.

you clearly have no understanding of the impact of non physical impairment on mobility.

Why don't I? I haven't disagreed with you? If you need a blue badge, whether it's for a bad back or a none physical impairment, you should be entitled to one. If you don't qualify for one, then you don't need one and therefore, you should park in a normal parking space.

Bonzo77. Thank you for your biased offensive comments. You have confirmed my opinion of you. But neither you or Mogwai84 have answered my question, Would YOU mind if I damaged your cars?

I expressed an opinion of why people may be using these bays and I don't intend to get into further discussion as Bonzo77 is not capable or does not have a legitimate point to make so he resorts to insults.

You didn't ask me a question.

Anyway - no I don't want you to damage my car, but seeing as I have a 1 month baby in my car and often can't park in a parent space because you're there then I don't see how that's going to be possible.:D

Would you like it if I dented your car when lifting my baby-seat in and out? Or would you like to see a baby in a pram hit by a car because the only place it's possible to put it is in the road behind the car boot?

There's plenty of solutions to your problem:

- park in a quieter part of the car park

- (or) go to a supermarket with a bigger carpark. There are several I can think of that are never full even at peak periods.

- use an alternative mode of transport.

- if you're a passenger then there are loads of cars on the market with sliding passenger doors, or get dropped off and picked up.

- put an edge protector on your door

So do you fancy explaining why none of these sensible and reasonable suggestions aren't possible, and why you feel that you're entitled to park in spaces not designated for you?

If you feel so strongly about it - why not write to your local supermarket and see if they can provide some wider spaces in an underused area?

How on earth did we manage years ago ?

I had 3 children under 5 and used a double buggy - managed very well without 'parent and child' spaces.

That said, the size of the average adult has increased greatly over the last 20 years and this may be the real reason why an extra wide space has to be provided.

I don't understand why these spaces have to be close to the building though as disabled spaces have to be. Surely they would be better placed on the periphery of the car park ? A little walking for the families could promote a more healthy life style.

How did disabled people manage before the blue badge scheme was introduced? Oh, wait a minute, that's not the point! The point is, provisions have been made in order to make peoples lives easier and safer.

I think the spaces should be moved further away from the stores, with an adequate walkway that leads to the shop. I wouldn't even mind if they wern't covered.

Save the close spaces for disabled drivers. What would all the fat lazy drivers do then?? They'd have to take that extra 30 seconds exercise a week, whether they like it, or not!!

How did disabled people manage before the blue badge scheme was introduced? Oh, wait a minute, that's not the point! The point is, provisions have been made in order to make peoples lives easier and safer.

I think the spaces should be moved further away from the stores, with an adequate walkway that leads to the shop. I wouldn't even mind if they wern't covered.

Save the close spaces for disabled drivers. What would all the fat lazy drivers do then?? They'd have to take that extra 30 seconds exercise a week, whether they like it, or not!!

Totally agree mate - I am envious of the provision and would have welcomed and used it 20 years ago had it been available.

Calm down :rolleyes:

my concern is that you seem to take the blue badge scheme as an all encompassing badge that all disabled people who need closer access to the shops will be able to get.

it really isn't that simple. Not all disabled people who need it qualify for it. Not all disabled people who need the extra support to life qualify for it.

I am not saying that these disabled people should be parking in the blue badge areas or not, just that they are still disabled people and they still might need closer access.

Also, disability doesn't come with a weight limit, so please dont discriminate... not all disabled people are thin...

my concern is that you seem to take the blue badge scheme as an all encompassing badge that all disabled people who need closer access to the shops will be able to get.

it really isn't that simple. Not all disabled people who need it qualify for it. Not all disabled people who need the extra support to life qualify for it.

I am not saying that these disabled people should be parking in the blue badge areas or not, just that they are still disabled people and they still might need closer access.

Also, disability doesn't come with a weight limit, so please dont discriminate... not all disabled people are thin...

What are you trying to say? That the assessment criteria is wrong for disabled people? Is that my problem? If they don't qualify for disabled parking, they should park with everyone else.

Also, I didn't discriminate against anyone apart from the perfectly able bodied lazy gits that can't be bothered to park in a normal parking space.

Archived