Is this another SCAM ?

goldenbabe1966

My mother in law is in her 70s and has only recently decided to start using the Internet, Her broadband provider is Talk Talk , The other day she got a phone call telling her , that her PC has a virus and they told her to turn her PC on and they would advise her over the phone how to get rid of it :suspect:, which luckily enough she didn't do it. She told them she didn't know what they were on about and put the phone :suspect: Is this another SCAM ????:suspect:

Never heard this one before :huh:

It probably wasnt talk talk see this link

http://www.bitterwallet.com/microsoft-phone-scam-being-run-from-indian-call-centres/32278

They rang me 3 days ago.

His English was so bad it was difficult to decide what he was on about.

I'd been having some trouble with my bank online account and at first thought he was talking about that, but it soon became apparent he was pfishing.

I put the phone down on him.

I am on talk talk, so there may be a connection there.

I had same happen to me a few wks ago, but he said he was calling from microsoft...didnt beleive him and googled the no. he had rung from, came across a forum where other people have also had the same happen to them....one person actually turned on their p.c and followed the instructions and now their pc doesnt work!!

My parents had a phonecall like this a month or so ago, supposedly from Microsoft. Same story, telling them that they had a virus & to switch on their computer & they'd help sort it out.

Luckily my dad phoned me up on his mobile to ask me about it, so I told him it was a scam & to get rid of her pronto.

I guessed that maybe they'd got their details from the electoral roll & were targeting older people who might not be quite so computer savvy & would just believe their story.

My mother in law is in her 70s and has only recently decided to start using the Internet, Her broadband provider is Talk Talk , The other day she got a phone call telling her , that her PC has a virus and they told her to turn her PC on and they would advise her over the phone how to get rid of it :suspect:, which luckily enough she didn't do it. She told them she didn't know what they were on about and put the phone :suspect: Is this another SCAM ????:suspect:

Never heard this one before :huh:

Broadband providers only provide internet access. The only records they may possibly keep are of any i.p. addresses you may have accessed and as such they have absolutely no way of determining what data you hold on your PC.

Just simply googling 'virus phone scam' will tell you that this is definitely a scam of some sort, and had your in law been on the phone long enough they would have asked for her credit/debit card details.

Work in call centre and no-one reputable would ring you this way, If you have a virus on your computer and whether have anti- virus installed or not you would know and you would be the one doing the ringing. Anyone getting one of these calls just needs to ask for phone number so that they can call back to verify

Archived