Is this another SCAM ?

goldenbabe1966

Got a few of these calls last week. If I'm not busy, I keep them on the phone as long as possible - tell them that I'm waiting for the PC to boot. Tell them that the command that they've asked me to type didn't do anything. Or that there are loads of errors in the error log. Sometimes I just say 'hang on a minute' and put the phone to the side.

My theory is is that while they are on the phone to me, they aren't on the phone to someone else who may not know that it is a scam. If more people kept them tied up, it would mean that they'd get a lower success rate.

G

Got a few of these calls last week. If I'm not busy, I keep them on the phone as long as possible - tell them that I'm waiting for the PC to boot. Tell them that the command that they've asked me to type didn't do anything. Or that there are loads of errors in the error log. Sometimes I just say 'hang on a minute' and put the phone to the side.

My theory is is that while they are on the phone to me, they aren't on the phone to someone else who may not know that it is a scam. If more people kept them tied up, it would mean that they'd get a lower success rate.

G

Thank you big g thats a good idea. It stops OAPs and the vunerable from being targeted.

My parents had a phonecall like this a month or so ago, supposedly from Microsoft. Same story, telling them that they had a virus & to switch on their computer & they'd help sort it out.

Luckily my dad phoned me up on his mobile to ask me about it, so I told him it was a scam & to get rid of her pronto.

I guessed that maybe they'd got their details from the electoral roll & were targeting older people who might not be quite so computer savvy & would just believe their story.

HAHAHAHAHAHA i just got that phone call, said he was from microsoft and i had had an error with my computer.

at that point i said no thanks and slammed the phone down on him, almost called him a **** too but i was a good boy, just slammed it down :)

I had one of these ring me up a couple of weeks ago on Sunday morning. As I wasn't busy I thought I'd play along. They said they we're ringing on behalf of MS saying I had sent in a error report. They got me to navigate to event viewer via a run command and then pointed out all the the red X's , "errors" and told me they needed to be fixed an that they could fix them remotely.

I played dumb for a bit. :hihi:

"I clicked run.... It isn't doing anything! Aarrgh! The computers so slow.... Is it a virus? Could you fix that for me too?" They tried to get me to download & install Avira Antivir from some website - the free version for which they wanted to charge me nearly 120 euro's for!

Then they tried to get me to install TeamViewer to start a remote session & after acting dumb a bit more, "Oh, RIGHT click it... I thought you meant left click it - that's why it wouldn't work...."

I toyed with him for about twenty minutes before telling him to do one...

At least whist he was on to me he wasn't conning some other poor soul.... :mad:

Archived