Burma generals 'sign Aung San Suu Kyi release order'

Tony

News being posted on the BBC now.

Reports are coming out of Burma saying the military authorities have signed an order authorising the release of pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Nobel laureate has been detained for 15 of the past 21 years, and her house arrest term expires on Saturday.

There has been increased police activity outside her house in Rangoon, but as yet no official confirmation.

However, Ms Suu Kyi is not expected to accept a conditional release if it excludes her from political activity.

She was originally due to be released last year, but a case involving an American who swam across Inya Lake to her home, claiming he was on a mission to save her, prompted the latest 18-month detention.

The BBC's Alastair Leithead in Bangkok says a number of sources inside Burma have told the BBC that documents authorising Ms Suu Kyi's release have been signed.

There has been increased police activity outside her home in University Avenue in Rangoon, Burma's biggest city.

more

I hope and pray that this is not a conditional release, but fear that it will be just another token gesture by Burma's generals. In which case Aung San Suu Kyi will stay where she is. My proudest moment as a city councillor was when, with the support of a group of people in Heeley, I put forward the case for Aung San Suu Kyi to be granted the freedom of Sheffield and the then Labour administration saw it through.

I hope that, when the day comes that she is released from house arrest and is able to lead her party again, she will come to Sheffield and meet the members of the Karen community who came here as refugees.

I fail to see why she warrants the freedom of Sheffield as far as I am aware she has no connection to the city at all

She didn't "want" the freedom of Sheffield, it was an honour conferred on her in recognition of her fight for democracy. As The Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Cllr Roger Davison said: “By honouring Aung San Suu Kyi the City of Sheffield will be publicly supporting her tireless work for democracy and human rights. If only our gift of Freedom of the City included the gift of freedom from house arrest and persecution. She is an international symbol of peace. The Freedom event aims to raise awareness of the situation in Burma but also to celebrate Burmese culture”.

It's a publicity ploy, she will protest until all the other 1000's of political prisoners have also been released, therefore she will soon either be sent to prison or under house arrest again.

Are the Burmese government being tempted by any lifting of sanctions or the offer of grants?

She didn't "want" the freedom of Sheffield, it was an honour conferred on her in recognition of her fight for democracy. As The Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Cllr Roger Davison said: “By honouring Aung San Suu Kyi the City of Sheffield will be publicly supporting her tireless work for democracy and human rights. If only our gift of Freedom of the City included the gift of freedom from house arrest and persecution. She is an international symbol of peace. The Freedom event aims to raise awareness of the situation in Burma but also to celebrate Burmese culture”.

the wests obsession with democracy is misplaced in places like burma. its a good economy they really need .you can travel all over s.e asia and you won't find democracy.theres also quite a lot of anger from burmans against san suu kyi for asking the west to impose sanctions in 1996, which did a lot of damage to the people of burma, plus opened the doors to the chinese - it"s almost a province of china now ,who don't give a toss about human rights...

It's a publicity ploy, she will protest until all the other 1000's of political prisoners have also been released, therefore she will soon either be sent to prison or under house arrest again.

Are the Burmese government being tempted by any lifting of sanctions or the offer of grants?

the release of san suu kyi might be to avert attention to the comically rigged elections

Archived