Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

Trever

Can anyone remember the shops down there..

A shoe repair shop.

South Yorkshire transport office(timetables).

Tobaconist.

Stinky toilets (Frequented by dodgy geezers).

An underground entrance to C&A.

Any others/corrections?

Anyone remember the paint shop down there? I think it was called 'Decor8' and was close to the ramp that led towards Fitzalan Square.

A mate of mine is a bobby and tells the story that one night shift, he was walking through HITR with a colleague when they heard the sound of glass smashing and on reaching Decor8, saw a youth legging it from what had been the display window, carrying large tins of paint in each hand.

They gave chase and caught up with the assailant on the far side of the Ssqaure. Obviously realising that the game was up, he stopped, turned, and lifted one of the tins above his head. My mate was a bit too smart for his naive colleague and jumped to one side and watched as an eight litre tin of white emulsion was hurled at his mate, bouncing "barnes wallace-style" until it exploded at his feet!!!

You can guess the rest.

The best part though, was that the Officers' name was Matt!!

Can anyone remember the shops down there..

A shoe repair shop.

South Yorkshire transport office(timetables).

Tobaconist.

Stinky toilets (Frequented by dodgy geezers).

An underground entrance to C&A.

Any others/corrections?

Big fruit shop down there

• 1 month later...
cud u tell me what thread is it on

there's a button, with "search" that you can select, over here

<<<<<<<<<<<

click on that button, and input the key words, eg if you are searching for Hole in the road, and fishtanks, input "hole in the road and fishtanks" and it will bring up all and any previous therads where the subject of choice is mentioned.

I know the Sheffield Star sell a lot of books showing Sheffield's passed, there is one from the 1960's showing you the hole in the road getting built, the only thing I hope is that they filled it in properly otherwise we could have Castle Sq tram stop sinking:help: