Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

Trever

I remember some guy making a dog out of balloons for my sister. We sat with my Mum on the benches near the fishtank and the tramp came over to play with the balloon dog. It popped my sister cryed her eyes out, i sh*t myself as it was my first time seeing a tramp and my mum gave him a piece of her mind. Now them where the good ol' days.

awwww i can't remember much about the hole in the road except the fish tank, it's a shame it couldn't have been kept nice. Even i have nice childhood memories from the fishtank pic

i thought the hole in the road was at the roundabout where Fuel is oops!

:D

Can anyone remember when they took the benches out, it may have been a while before they decided to fill it in. Someone scrawled across one of the walls:

"Sheffield People want to sit together"

I can remember the writing and thinking that the "wino"s" had probably done it.

OH MY GOD!!

all my life i've grown up thinking i imagined that underground fishtank with the massive orange fish!!!

thanks for making me feel sane again!

don't remember anything else from 'the hole', didn't even know where it was, but at least i know it was real!!

OH MY GOD!!

all my life i've grown up thinking i imagined that underground fishtank with the massive orange fish!!!

thanks for making me feel sane again!

don't remember anything else from 'the hole', didn't even know where it was, but at least i know it was real!!

can't you remeber the blokes selling fake FILA t-shirts, My mate Peter use to sell them there.

There was also a Tobaconists down there, public toilets, crocker shop,FADS,photo place and lower floor enterence to C&A. Cracking place and sadly missed :thumbsup:

There was also an enterence to it back of CO-Op where Suggs was ( i think it was where the CO-OP window is where the SUFC & SWFC shirts are displayed )

________

Cannabis collective

Edited by Eric_Collins

• 3 weeks later...

As a naiive teenie in the late 70's, the prospect of a voyage through the Hole in the road was... not good. :help:

And that was just in the day! In my view, it was an awful place-;-

The walkways were dingy and pokey (sounds like a Hanna-Barbara cartoon)

People's hands seemed to 'stick' to the handrail (which always moved faster than the steps?)

The whole place smelt of urine...and not mine!

Graffiti was so caked on, that it actually propped up the walls

Plus, there was always a mob of skinheads hanging about in the shade at night- all you could see was a cluster of glowing tab-ends until one shouted "Oi, you..", then when you looked around, the reply(immediately prior to a flurry of Dr.Marten's boots raining into your groin/head) was "Wot's tha f****n' lookin' at?". (logic?):loopy:

The only saving grace was those beautiful fish in the several wall-tanks that adorned the centre, even then there was always seemingly one or two bobbing about on the surface!

A short cut across the road? Why, I'd rather walk 500 miles...

apologies if you have discussed this already!

i remember the fish tanks, and the traders selling really huge christmas and valentine cards

That's all I can remember too! It was a bit of a 'fad' at first but wasn't long before it became a 'no-go' area with all the graffitti etc. I used to work in town on Figtree Lane and used to go out for a walk at lunchtime and get my fags from a little booth just at the entrance. Didn't last that long though.