Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

Trever

is it just me or can anyone else see the face at the bottom of the picture on escalator 1,freaky.

yeah isn't it great! It kinda reminds me of something Banksy would of captured or created if he'd been around back then.

I love it when people capture these kind of images, and probably without intending to?

This is just one more reason why Sheffield needs to be creative and uncover the purpose built hole in the road again.

• 4 months later...
is it just me or can anyone else see the face at the bottom of the picture on escalator 1,freaky.

Yep I can see a chunky face too - looks like Hollywood's version of Frankenstein's Monster. I only remember the HITR when it was in a state of neglect and can recall the stench of urine and the litter as well as the filthy state of the fish tanks. It is a pity Simon Thurley was only in his nappies at that time and not Chief Executive for English Heritage or he may have been inclined to slap a Grade II listing on it like he has the Hyde Park Flats and then the Council would have had to come up with the goods and sort it out. What a unique and futuristic feature it could have been.

Oh well, c'est le vie! :huh:

I wonder if THITR would have been looked at more sympathetically by the Council if Meadowhall had never happened, and upgraded it rather than filled it in.

I personally think Meadowhall has been an absolute disaster for Sheffield and the city centre in particular, it has sucked out so much of the vibrancy of the city centre.

I remember going to town on a Sat in the late 70's early 80's and there would be so many people around it was unbelievable, a far cry to how it is today.

Have only been to Meadowhall once and hated it.Could have been anywhere.

I much prefer to shop in the city centre even now,as there are still some good shops.

There was also a record shop down there in the 70's. Anyone else remember that? I remember being allowed to go to town for the first time with my mates when I was about 9 (things were safer back then) and buying my first record which was (wait for it!) Bang Bang by B.A. Robertson!!!

:huh: where was the record shop situated in hole in the road. I can't remember it and i'm racking my brains