Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

Trever

this brings back so many memories for me.i used to spend hours with my mum lookin at that fish tank.bloody hell im actually feelin a bit emotianal thinkin about the city center as a nipper.:(

as a fire officer, I was involved in checking forthcoming plans of new building projects. This one was a new large traffic island with the centre area dug out to basement level, opened to the sky,and having access to shops around the island, all having window displays and doorways at this basement level, including a large fishtank display. It was quite a forward looking idea but, for various reasons filled in.

as a fire officer, I was involved in checking forthcoming plans of new building projects. This one was a new large traffic island with the centre area dug out to basement level, opened to the sky,and having access to shops around the island, all having window displays and doorways at this basement level, including a large fishtank display. It was quite a forward looking idea but, for various reasons filled in.

part of my childhood thought it was brill safe way of crossing road in the 70s

hi i know this thread has been going years but ive only just read it tonight and wow has it brought back memorys. i loved the hole in the road. running through it and hiding from my mum and dad in all the walk ways. loved the fish and it was the best meeting place cus everyone knew where it was. and the best thing was waiting to see where you would end up and which entrance/exit you would come out of.

also found this if anyone is intrested in looking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/articles/2008/10/17/the_reel_monty_dvd_feature.shtml

thanks to the person who started this and to everyone who has commented. brought back great memorys (made me feel old to tho) haha

There were defo some lavs, in the early/mid 80's whilst caught short i broke my rule about using public toilets and found, bizarrely a sex pistols L.P. in there!

Also i can imagine the toilets got a lot of action as it was a cottaging hot spot back in the day! I worked at the Lazer Quest in the late 80's early 90's and when we were depositing money at the bank over the rd in the night box the place was teeming with fellas!

My sister worked in there, the place that is now the bankers draught! Loved that place.

In the late 70's early 80's I worked for sheffield recreation dept. and it was my first job of the day to feed the fish in THITR.

... so can you tell us the exact size of the tank - was it around 15' x 4' and around 2' wide ? - and where was the access point to get in , as no doors were near the actual tank ?