Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

Trever

Um.. well i don't know. Did this hole have shops it in? It might all just be that I have been lied to, but apparently it was just sort of a big hole with shops in... dunno how people didn't fall into it etc.? Any pics?

Many buildings in the vicinity of the Market Place were damaged or destroyed on the night of 12 December 1940 when German aircraft bombed Sheffield. The bomb sites were cleared but most remained empty for many years. In 1968 many old streets were cleared to make way for the new Arundel Gate, a dual carriageway road that terminated at a large roundabout built on the former market place. Underneath the roundabout a network of underpasses and shops was built (with a central area open to the sky), this formed a complex that was officially designated Castle Square but became affectionately known locally as "Hole in t' Road" or Hole in the Road). Although considered by many to be a major city landmark, like many constructions of its time, it did not age well and was very dilapidated by the early 1990s. It lasted from 1967 until 1994, allegedly being filled in with the rubble from the recently demolished Hyde Park Flats.

4 roads met at the " Hole in the Road" and there was 8 ways down consisting of steps, slopes and even esculators on the High st there was shops underneath even a large fishtank that some say the fish was pirahnas but i cant confirm that . It was a meeting place for almost everyone .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I worked at Corkers fruit and veg shop at their Hole-in-the-road branch for a short while, and I hated it being 'underground' ! And I remember there was always a long queue at the cigarette kiosk in the centre due to the cigs being cheaper than anywhere else......

• 3 weeks later...
I have been told that there used to be some sort of shopping area, around where is now HMV/Boots/Cathedral... which was filled in before the trams got put back in (around 1995?) Apparently you could see the sky from it, but it was lower than the normal street level. Sounds all very intriguing.. surely anyone who's lived here since before 95 or so should know whether it's true or not? :confused:

arnt u from sheffield then :huh: thought everybody new about it:roll: r u 2 young

Edited by little missy

I have been told that there used to be some sort of shopping area, around where is now HMV/Boots/Cathedral... which was filled in before the trams got put back in (around 1995?) Apparently you could see the sky from it, but it was lower than the normal street level. Sounds all very intriguing.. surely anyone who's lived here since before 95 or so should know whether it's true or not? :confused:

dint u live in sheffield

Edited by C0NV0Y

During the first skateboard craze of the late 70's/early 80's there were no shops open in town on Sundays so the town centre was practically deserted, this made it a great skate park, including THITR. On a good day we could get on our boards at the City Hall, go down across Leopold St, down Fargate onto High st, round the corner by House of Fraser (TJ Hughes), double back down the ramp, straight through THITR, come up the ramp next to The Marples, across Fitzalan Sq. down Commercial St. Up the ramp onto Park Sq roundabout (before the trams were there). Across the roundabout on the long sweeping path. Jump off your board at the underpass and walk up the steps arriving at Granellis. Job Done.

it`s also featured in the film( the full monty ) at the start of the film it shows you how Sheffield centre used to look like! i miss it though, when it was quite and Sundays say, you could shout and hear the best echo ever

Edited by Easy-D
spelling

• 2 months later...
During the first skateboard craze of the late 70's/early 80's there were no shops open in town on Sundays so the town centre was practically deserted, this made it a great skate park, including THITR. On a good day we could get on our boards at the City Hall, go down across Leopold St, down Fargate onto High st, round the corner by House of Fraser (TJ Hughes), double back down the ramp, straight through THITR, come up the ramp next to The Marples, across Fitzalan Sq. down Commercial St. Up the ramp onto Park Sq roundabout (before the trams were there). Across the roundabout on the long sweeping path. Jump off your board at the underpass and walk up the steps arriving at Granellis. Job Done.

The town was very alternative on Sundays and all sorts of things went unreported such as gypsy horse auctions,free concerts and pavement artists.