Extortionate childcare fees - Part of the benefits-to-work problem

You didn't mention how much her company charges mojo1...

I'm not sure how much per hour she does charge, I know it's the standard going rate for childminders, but I've never asked her how much that rate is.

And we talk about bankers being greedy <REMOVED>.

Its difficult to know if I'm being charged a fair amount. I suspect wages at the nursery are pretty low. The ratio of adults to children is such that it possibly does cost a lot....perhaps the margin isn't extortinate when taking wages, premises, equipment etc into account. It could equally be a price fixing cartel between some of the companies that runs these nurseries.

I'm not sure how much per hour she does charge, I know it's the standard going rate for childminders, but I've never asked her how much that rate is.

If she is earning less than minimum wage then I doubt she is charging the same rates as the companies I am frothing about. I would be interested to know. I may need to introduce my foot to my mouth.

If she is earning less than minimum wage then I doubt she is charging the same rates as the companies I am frothing about. I would be interested to know. I may need to introduce my foot to my mouth.

She's not a nursery, she childminds from her home so it's not the same as childcare companies as such, but then she doesn't have wages to pay out or the overheads on premises to cover either so her rates will be lower.

We can pick and choose which sectors we cap. Why not? It's obvious some sectors need a more laissez faire approach. Fine, but don't be so dogmatic as to claim ALL sectors can work harmoniously under what is an outdated and unsustainable notion of the "free market".

We cap some essential sectors that we all use to what most consider a fair level. Who's to say the costs in childcare aren't fair already?

You don't directly cap wages anyway, you cap how much the company can charge per hour.

Since the majority of most companies operating costs are wages, you're simply capping the wages by the back door.

This is childcare we're talking about and if people want to go into business in that sector they should be prepared to take on the social responsibility it demands.

Say's who? People generally start a business to make money.

It's not like they wouldn't still make decent money.

Since (I presume) you don't know what it really costs, I don't know how you can say that with any authority.

We can still make sure carers are rewarded generously for their work.

How? Who's going to pay for it?

The alternative is the taxpayer has to subsidise an extortionate private sector which is ridiculous considering the private sector traditionally operates under the principles of a single bottom line.

Is it extortionate? From the info given earlier it does seem expensive, but I wouldn't say extortionate. It's not like there isn't a choice. You could go with someone cheaper, but then would you trust them?

If public money is to be invested in a given service that service should be run under some form of public charter.

I agree, but since it's not subsidised then there is no such consideration.

Like I said, if the child minders don't like being forced to charge a reasonable amount they shouldn't be doing business in a sector that demands a high level of social responsibility.

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest the amounts charged already aren't reasonable. For that we'd need much more info from someone who does know the true costs.

Solution - This scheme where if you've been on benefits for a certain amount of time and not found a job, and you have to do community work. Why not make part of it childcare at nurserys etc? Plus they can get qualifications as they learn.

That was you have more nursery assistants and they're free, allowing more people to go back to work whilst training those who can't find work.

No need, the market will decide. If they're too expensive then no-one will use them.

Childcare fees rise far above the rate of inflation every year. The market may end up deciding that it's not worth going to work.

Solution - This scheme where if you've been on benefits for a certain amount of time and not found a job, and you have to do community work. Why not make part of it childcare at nurserys etc? Plus they can get qualifications as they learn.

That was you have more nursery assistants and they're free, allowing more people to go back to work whilst training those who can't find work.

Er, I'd rather people with no experience or aptitude for childcare were not looking after mine for 4 weeks only because they have to, thanks.

Archived