You know it's Winter when gas prices rise

All the energy companies are gangsters whith smart suits and cut glass accents peeing down our legs and telling us its raining,making millions of pounds out of us knowing we cannot freeze and we WILL cough up,whats this government doing,nothing only saying they may consider taking the winter fuel payments off pensioners.

WhenI was young gas was a bob (shilling) in the meter and hardly ever went up,but then we actually owned our own energy suppliers until a certain woman decided we would be better off with a free market,i'll bet she wont be cold this winter,with a bit of luck.There will never be a war again because we will freeze to death in the dark when we go to the well for our water or to dig a hole for our poo!

I believe that wholesale gas prices are around half their peak of 2008, but bills have fallen only 10% since then.

Still we're all in it together eh?

Of course, British Gas shareholders and British Gas consumers must all tighten their belts during these hard times.

For some it will be easier than others!

WhenI was young gas was a bob (shilling) in the meter and hardly ever went up,but then we actually owned our own energy suppliers until a certain woman decided we would be better off with a free market,i'll bet she wont be cold this winter,with a bit of luck.There will never be a war again because we will freeze to death in the dark when we go to the well for our water or to dig a hole for our poo!

Burn the fumes of your poo to boil the water that falls upon your house and use it in your radiators and for washing etc. rather than pay the rain tax, and for water and sewarage.

I.....like everybody else, is totally against this latest hike in fuel prices. That's two of the major players that have announced these increases now, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the rest will follow!

Having said that, I do think that people in general are soft these days. I include myself in this as well before anybody starts jumping up and down.

I can remember the days of no central heating for this family, and it wasn't that long ago either. Only 14 years back we lived in a 4 storey terraced house and it was so cold in the winter months that we had ice on the inside of the windows.

We had 2 gas fires in this house.....one in the kitchen and one in the lounge and that was it! We did resort to a calor gas heater upstairs though when the kids were small, and eventually we installed one gas "space heater" in one of the bedrooms in order to provide some heat upstairs.

Upstairs consisted of 2 bedrooms and a small washroom, with a third attic bedroom.

Downstairs consisted of a lounge with entry from the street, along with a kitchen/diner. These were the only 2 rooms with gas fires.

The basement level was entered through the back door (the house was built into a hillside) to what used to be the basement kitchen many years ago. We used this area as a utility room, and the gas boiler which provided only hot water was there, along with a downstairs bathroom and cellarage on the other side. We couldn't afford to install central heating in such a big house back then, so we had to make do.

No different really to when I was growing up. There was only one coal fire supplying everything then.

I think that in many ways we were probably hardier then what people are nowadays. Winters were also a lot colder and harsher. The likes of last winter used to be the norm just 30 years ago.

I am as guilty as everybody else for expecting to walk around the house with just a short sleeved top on, because I've got used to it over the past 14 years that we've lived in this house, with central heating. I'm afraid though that all this will have to stop as fuel prices continue to spiral upwards. I think we will all be going back to the days of making sure just one room is heated and taking hot water bottles to bed etc. Wearing a good layer of clothing including woolly socks and even a hat to help to keep a person warm. For the young amongst us, it won't take too long to adjust. For the older people......most of them have allready been there and got the tea-shirt and if healthy will adjust as well. The elderly will need help though and it should be available to them.

I hate to see the profits that the fuel companies......petrol/diesel included here as well.......are making, but the fact is that our resources are running out and it's time for everybody to make efforts to reduce their fuel consumption. Increasing the fuel prices will make everybody look at what savings they can make because we'll have no choice.

I just hope that the fuel companies will be using their massive profits for looking for alternative methods of providing affordable energy for everybody. :confused:

I.....like everybody else, is totally against this latest hike in fuel prices. That's two of the major players that have announced these increases now, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the rest will follow!

Having said that, I do think that people in general are soft these days. I include myself in this as well before anybody starts jumping up and down.

I can remember the days of no central heating for this family, and it wasn't that long ago either. Only 14 years back we lived in a 4 storey terraced house and it was so cold in the winter months that we had ice on the inside of the windows.

We had 2 gas fires in this house.....one in the kitchen and one in the lounge and that was it! We did resort to a calor gas heater upstairs though when the kids were small, and eventually we installed one gas "space heater" in one of the bedrooms in order to provide some heat upstairs.

Upstairs consisted of 2 bedrooms and a small washroom, with a third attic bedroom.

Downstairs consisted of a lounge with entry from the street, along with a kitchen/diner. These were the only 2 rooms with gas fires.

The basement level was entered through the back door (the house was built into a hillside) to what used to be the basement kitchen many years ago. We used this area as a utility room, and the gas boiler which provided only hot water was there, along with a downstairs bathroom and cellarage on the other side. We couldn't afford to install central heating in such a big house back then, so we had to make do.

No different really to when I was growing up. There was only one coal fire supplying everything then.

I think that in many ways we were probably hardier then what people are nowadays. Winters were also a lot colder and harsher. The likes of last winter used to be the norm just 30 years ago.

I am as guilty as everybody else for expecting to walk around the house with just a short sleeved top on, because I've got used to it over the past 14 years that we've lived in this house, with central heating. I'm afraid though that all this will have to stop as fuel prices continue to spiral upwards. I think we will all be going back to the days of making sure just one room is heated and taking hot water bottles to bed etc. Wearing a good layer of clothing including woolly socks and even a hat to help to keep a person warm. For the young amongst us, it won't take too long to adjust. For the older people......most of them have allready been there and got the tea-shirt and if healthy will adjust as well. The elderly will need help though and it should be available to them.

I hate to see the profits that the fuel companies......petrol/diesel included here as well.......are making, but the fact is that our resources are running out and it's time for everybody to make efforts to reduce their fuel consumption. Increasing the fuel prices will make everybody look at what savings they can make because we'll have no choice.

I just hope that the fuel companies will be using their massive profits for looking for alternative methods of providing affordable energy for everybody. :confused:

I think we should wear jumpers more often than twist the dial of energy expenditure conveniently situated in the hallway.

But your wrong to suggest people don't go without heating nowadays. I can think of people who don't have central heating on the forum and people I know otherwise. These are working people who own their own homes (and generally outright).

I know people who go without because they don't see the need to wear shorts in winter, and people who have the heating on full blast all year round.

That said, we probably are in a minority.

I put a jumper on. I use the gas to heat water only and pay some £4 per month.

When I go into a house heated at 20C I break into a sweat, especially this time of year.

If it is proper freezing I'll often pop the heating on at 5C or use a small electric heater, but I don't need much more than that.

Archived