Will some one help me with my history homework on sheffield blitz

JoJo14791

this thread has been resurrected after a year. I suspect Jojo may have done her homework by now! lol :hihi:

ps, gadgetgirl, I remember seeing a programme a couple of years ago about how, during the war, one city (hull, i think) had a mock-up built, of the docks, right down to the lights and the reflections in the water. It was done in something like1/3 scale, and set out, a ways- away from the city, to fool the bombers, who would not realise, from the height of their flight-path that the scale was "off". Ingenious.

One one of the nights of The Blitz - Thursday or Sunday, William Joyce (Lord Haw Haw) came on the wireless and said that Sheffield was to be targetted that night. He said that one of the targets was The Seven Sisters - a nickname given to the seven chimneys at Steel, Peach & Tozer. They missed the lot and got the city centre. I think it was the Sunday night.

It was the Thursday night!

It was the Thursday night!

Sorry about that. I got the info from my late Father. I thought he said it was foggy on the Thursday night, and frost clear on the Sunday night. I got it wrong I should have known really as I was in a play called 'It's a bit lively outside', by Joyce Halliday. This gives an excellent account of the two nights of the Sheffield Blitz.

my grandad used to be the commisioner on the cinema in fitzallen square he was on the door that night of the blitz he saw the first bomb fall on the marples pub across the square .there used to be asnooker hall underneath the cinema and they had to make sure all the cinema goers were evacuted toit. that night after his shift he walked all the way hometo pagehall just to make sure his family were safe the y say the trauma reflected on him badly and he never was the same after that. inever knew my grandad as he died before i was born but i still am proud to be his grandaughter

• 1 month later...

Yes I remember the Sheffield Blitz well.It was my 5th birthday on Dec 12th.We lived at the bottom of The Moor so we could hear the bombs dropping.I was frightened every time the sirens went,heard the planes and heard the bombs dropping for the rest of the war.A skill I quickly learnt was to tell by the sound of the engines whether it was 'one of ours' or not.Huddled in the cellar the adults would stop talking and say 'Listen...It's alright it's one of ours'

Archived