Will some one help me with my history homework on sheffield blitz

JoJo14791

I wonder if the JoJo1979 ever finished the homework asked about? S/he obviously didn't take any of our advice or ideas as has never been back to check!

Just took a look at the profile and the OP has never been here since that first post in 2005 ...

I just wonder if JoJo1979 had as much trouble with her/his History as with the English. I worry that kids won't be able to differentiate between the occasions when text speak is acceptable and when it's not. I'm sure that a job application form filled in with txt spk would be instantly filed in the bin.

In the section marked "Hobbies" would it say something like "i luv 2 ang out wiv my m8s n stuff innit."

• 2 weeks later...

Although it was 66 years ago,I have vivid memories of that night. I,and two of my friends,went to the 1st house at the Empire theatre to see Henry Hall and his orchestra.There was a purple warning on,but nothing unusual in that.

The orchestra were in the middle of playing one of the popular tunes of the time "Six lessons from Madam Lazonga",when Henry was called to the side of the stage. He immediately came back and stopped the music to make an announcement. He said an air raid was imminent and to leave the theatre in an orderly manner. By this time we could hear the AA guns in action ,and when we got outside,we could see that the incendiary bombers had been busy with the big furniture shop next to the Empire well alight. We decided to make a run for it down the Moor,but we were too late,the heavy stuff had begun to arrive,and as we passed the 50 shilling tailors one dropped nearby causing the large window to shatter to pieces. Fortunately it had a cross brace on and it did it's job. We went underneath to the shop's shelter and listened to the crescendo all around us. After a while we had to evacuate the shelter as the shops above were all on fire. The heat was so fierce it was melting the metal of the frames,and some drops fell on my head,although i did'nt notice it at the time. When we emerged on the Moor it was like a scene from Dantes Inferno,it looked like the whole of the Moor was on fire.

Marks and Sparks,opposite us certainly was,as was a tram,but we were directed down the side street, next to the Central cinema,to a shelter in Eyre Street,and we all made haste,you can bet. We had'nt been in the shelter very long before it received a direct hit. The lights went out and the blast swept through where we were sat on forms and blew the lid off the escape hatch. There was a lot of oral evidence that people had been injured further in the shelter. We stayed there until the all clear about 4 am and then walked

back up the side street to look at the damage,only to turn and run when an unexploded bomb went off on theMoor. We decided then to walk home via Eyre Street to London Road coming out at Lamb's shop. Absolute chaos everywhere, with hosepipes crisscrossing the road amongst all the debris. I arrived home to find we just had one window shattered by blast,a huge relief

all round. A night never to be forgotten. I joined the Navy 3 weeks later,but that's another story.

my grandad used to be the commisioner on the cinema in fitzallen square he was on the door that night of the blitz he saw the first bomb fall on the marples pub across the square .there used to be asnooker hall underneath the cinema and they had to make sure all the cinema goers were evacuted toit. that night after his shift he walked all the way hometo pagehall just to make sure his family were safe the y say the trauma reflected on him badly and he never was the same after that. inever knew my grandad as he died before i was born but i still am proud to be his grandaughter
I remember the commisionaire at the Electra as it was called then , so perhaps I spoke to your G Dad when we used to get an older person to get us a ticket when the film was an A certificate minors could not get in. Cheers Arthur.

Blitzer, I bet Henry Hall and Betty Driver would have a few tales to tell about that night too!Pity more memoirs arent around about the blitz[i have got a video.It looks horrifying as your experience must have been]

Yes I remember the Sheffield Blitz well.It was my 5th birthday on Dec 12th.We lived at the bottom of The Moor so we could hear the bombs dropping.I was frightened every time the sirens went,heard the planes and heard the bombs dropping for the rest of the war.A skill I quickly learnt was to tell by the sound of the engines whether it was 'one of ours' or not.Huddled in the cellar the adults would stop talking and say 'Listen...It's alright it's one of ours'

Famous last words Eileent. "It's alright,it's one of ours"!

What is the st name for very steephill running from Penistone rd to langsett ,cinema just around the top ,bombs hit many of the shops,my brother and i having run off from fullwood were chased off by the firemen ,the whole st was ablaze I being 7-8 bro 18months younger ,the st was coverd in goods but not what we was looking for, something to eat

Archived