Will some one help me with my history homework on sheffield blitz

JoJo14791

• 1 month later...

I posted in another topic a few months ago. I'm doing my dissertation on the Sheffield Evacuees. If anybody has any stories they would be willing to share please let me know.

I'm currently writing up my dissertation (after 6 months of research) and i'm writing a chapter on the Blitz on the 12th and the 15th Dec 1940.

" Listen,can tha ear summat " was a phrase which my dad used to come out with when we were in the shelter, it became a family joke.

The blitz was on Thursday the 13th of December and Sunday 16th, a clear full moon almost daylight and the bombs came raining down, mostly incendiaries which caused the city centre to become the largest furnace even Sheffield had ever seen.

I was in a shelter under the railway arches in Heeley having been to the pictures at the picture house nearby accompanied by my older brother, we were not in the least bit concerned, I don't know why, perhaps we were too young to realise the seriousness of our position, but it was all a joke to us.

We made our way home to Millmout Rd. passing a very large crater on Chesterfield Rd. and I think Little London Rd. but I'm not sure. It was surrounded by people with pots and pans trying to get water out of the broken pipe, all with despair written on their faces.

We ran up Chesterfield Rd. wondering if we had a family or house left, this was when the reality of the situation struck, this was no longer a game, this was serious. Millmout Rd. like many roads in Sheffield is very steep but we ran like greyhounds up that hill and discovered the house untouched except for a couple of widows broken.

I've just read another possible reason why the City Centre was bombed and not the steelworks. According to a book by Alistair Lofthouse, Sheffield Blitz Then and Now, it was possibly due to the fog covering Rotherham and Attercliffe. He also says, it was the second raid on the Sunday that followed a Radio Beam.

I heard somewhere that the Germans bombed using signal beams ,which when they crossed it was time to drop your bombs.Our scientists had found a way to bend the beams by 4 degrees and thats why they hit the town instead of Attercliffe.Also I would like to know more about the z batteries located on Manor lane I believe.My late father operated them with the civil defence (dads army).He told me that in the event of a misfire ,they had to turn them to a particular setting so that they hit the houses and not the industry.It never happened fortunately.

Must have been on the sunday my brother and i having run away fm Fullwood homes watched the shops going up in flames in what i now believe was Wood st,the firemen cleared us off ,to busy to give much notice,we spent the next few nights in the Andersons behind High house rd always scrounging for food,

A few weeks before the blitz, I was a kid of 9 out in the street in Tinsley when a plane flew very low over our house, so low that the pilot waved to us. My mother said Oh look its a hospital plane. I told her it was a Heinkel 111, I was into aircraft recognition at the time. On December 15th Sunday our house was one hit by a stick of bombs while we were hiding in the pantry. We somehow manged to get out and run across to Tinsley Elementary, whic h was then set on fire by incendiaries.

• 2 years later...

Archived