Will some one help me with my history homework on sheffield blitz

JoJo14791

hi skippy,a short while ago I took a large party of Germans on a tour of Sheffield and when we arrived at Marples I told them about the bombing and to a person they all bowed their heads and said how sorry they were,most of them were my age or younger.One of these was a headteacher and told me of when he was a child his mother took him for a new coat to Heilbron when an air raid started,they dived into the cellars and when they came out there wasnt much left of heilbron,what could I say,he did say with a wicked laugh that he didnt get his coat!

jojo14791, if you want to know anything about ww2 , there is a place called eden camp ,malton, north shire you can actually go though the blitz, bombing, etcit has everything you need to know about ww2,
i think jo jo is long gone she posted this thread in 2005 and never posted again.:hihi:

hi skippy,a short while ago I took a large party of Germans on a tour of Sheffield and when we arrived at Marples I told them about the bombing and to a person they all bowed their heads and said how sorry they were,most of them were my age or younger.One of these was a headteacher and told me of when he was a child his mother took him for a new coat to Heilbron when an air raid started,they dived into the cellars and when they came out there wasnt much left of heilbron,what could I say,he did say with a wicked laugh that he didnt get his coat!

Such dialogue can be so sincere and rewarding.

I got to know a guy (brother of owner of a bar in the Ruhr, that I used to frequent) as his career in the German army in ordinance disposal, developed from clearing the old east/west border areas, through Bosnia and Kosovo.

He visited London about a decade ago, and I related the stories to him recently shown on televison of how some unexploded German bombs had needed to be retrived from the filthy water in the depths of gas holders at Beckton gasworks, then carefully lifted up over the top, down the other side to be carted off to Hackney Marshes to be exploded.

With every sentence he cringed more.

Some four years later he had been assigned to deal with WW2 ordinance still regularly unearthed in Germany.

I hope he always stays lucky and safe.

What was amazing about the 1900s was we fought Germany and supported France for the first time in Lord knows how many centuries.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that we were wrong to do so but I believe our ancestry and our language even the name England or Angleland are all basicly from the same roots as Germany.

What was amazing about the 1900s was we fought Germany and supported France for the first time in Lord knows how many centuries.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that we were wrong to do so but I believe our ancestry and our language even the name England or Angleland are all basicly from the same roots as Germany.

In the 1850's a lot of engineers with deep mining experience, emigrated from Northern England and Ireland with their families , to set up and sink the new mines in the Ruhr (that until then the German population had no experience of) and stayed on.

Similarly thousands of Germans emigrated here and to the USA, around the same period.

Such were the divisions in families that became apparent once hostilities started.

There is a string of craters in Geno Woods that run in line with Penistone rd that we used to play in (around mid 60s). An old local told us they were made by bombs dropped to lighten German aircraft on their way back from the Sheffield raids.

First Job - the misadventures of two 70s Sheffield lads at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

Archived