"Please Wear a Poppy".

cat631

All of which is true but my point was that the average German soldier was a normal run of the mill bloke just like the average British soldier.

Your average infantryman is not a political animal. Living here I have met many German veterans and most of them were conscripted ino the Army and did their bit pretty much as our lads did.

Only our lads wouldnt have been shot for refusing,these were terrible times for most ordinary Germans.just imagine,how anyone would feel if they saw their neighbours,friends and aquaintences who they had grown up with for years being marched away,never to be seen again and being helpless to do anything about it.By all means wear our poppies with pride but lets not forget all sides suffered in many ways.

"Please Wear a Poppy" is the title of Tuppies Poem, not an exhortation to buy a poppy. People who buy a poppy do so of their own free will, to remember the dead and help the injured and certainly don't need encouragement from me.

If you actually read this moving poem before you posted your reply Bensonhedges, you must have a heart of stone.

Archived