Free rail transport??

I haven't used public transport for years but as myself and my wife were meeting friends in Sheffield and as both of us are now owners of bus passes we decided to use the train.

Chapeltown station was very busy and when the train arrived it was standing room only, no problem but what amazed me was the fact that no one was taking fares, the train half emptied at Meadowhall and the rest including us got off at Sheffield.

As the fare is £2-40 from Chap to Sheffield they must have lost hundreds of pounds in fares.

Was this an unusual occurance or is this the norm?

I haven't used public transport for years but as myself and my wife were meeting friends in Sheffield and as both of us are now owners of bus passes we decided to use the train.

Chapeltown station was very busy and when the train arrived it was standing room only, no problem but what amazed me was the fact that no one was taking fares, the train half emptied at Meadowhall and the rest including us got off at Sheffield.

As the fare is £2-40 from Chap to Sheffield they must have lost hundreds of pounds in fares.

Was this an unusual occurance or is this the norm?

My mate lives at Chap and uses the train when he goes to Blades matches. The majority of time he doesn't pay because they don't come to collect fares.

Archived