Smokers in pub and company door ways.

I also think non smokers overlook a large problem despite their objections to smokers and smoky areas... The majority will regularly sit in traffic queues breathing in all sorts of toxins from vehicles and not utter a word of objection yet will sound off alarming if somebody lights a fag within 100 feet of them.

I would be interested to know which is the most harmful, being near a few smokers or sitting on the parkway for several hours a week?

I only object to people smoking in bars and restaurants and other enclosed places where I would be forced to breathe their smoke. I similarly object to driving cars in these places.

by the way - talking of a drain on the NHS, not wishing to stir up this argument(well a little) i notice that fat people are costing it loads of money too - so - the person that wants all us smokers banned or sent to an island, how about the 33% of adults in this country that are obese? should they get banished off the mainland too? - my guess is the person that said this IS of the obese variety - luckily im a skinny smoker so not going to be draining the NHS of 2 things when I get older!!! ;o)

The sensible compromise regarding the smoking ban would be to have designated smoking rooms within public buildings..

If peoples health and well being were the governments primary concern, tobacco itself would have been banned outright.

In the 'compromise situation' (designated smoke rooms) then the way employment for people who had to work in these environments could have been solved by simple disclaimers, IE employ people who are willing to sign a disclaimer and work in those areas (Probably smokers themselves) and the problem is solved... the smokers get an inside area to smoke in, the non smokers get smoke free areas and the government/employers/owners are not hit with huge compo claims.

I also think non smokers overlook a large problem despite their objections to smokers and smoky areas... The majority will regularly sit in traffic queues breathing in all sorts of toxins from vehicles and not utter a word of objection yet will sound off alarming if somebody lights a fag within 100 feet of them.

I would be interested to know which is the most harmful, being near a few smokers or sitting on the parkway for several hours a week?

It's not so much as a problem of segregating smokers within a building, as segregating the smoke. Most pubs would have to have major alteration if fume extraction were to be efficient and this would be impractical in most of the older buildings, then there are other problems such as closed doors in hot weather, the size of rooms, bar facilities, frequency of door openings, food, etc etc.

As a driver and a non-smoker I hate traffic fumes as much as anyone but short of abandoning the combustion engine overnight I don't see a way out of it, so to answer your question, both fumes are unpleasant and neither promote good health.

It's not so much as a problem of segregating smokers within a building, as segregating the smoke. Most pubs would have to have major alteration if fume extraction were to be efficient and this would be impractical in most of the older buildings, then there are other problems such as closed doors in hot weather, the size of rooms, bar facilities, frequency of door openings, food, etc etc.
most pubs i know would just have to switch on a fan to get rid of the smoke seeing as most of the pubs were allready fitted with these in the first place

I only object to people smoking in bars and restaurants and other enclosed places where I would be forced to breathe their smoke. I similarly object to driving cars in these places.

I object to people driving cars in bars and restaurants too, although not because of pollution. :huh:

Brian Binley MP wants review of smoking ban

Conservative MP Brian Binley has initiated an Early Day Motion calling for an inquiry into the effectiveness of the last government's smoking ban. The EDM "calls upon the Government to conduct a thorough review, supported by consultation with all parties and affected business sectors on the impact the smoking ban has had on public houses and private members clubs". It continues:

"Any review should consider a balanced and proportionate amendment to the legislation, which allows for segregated smoking rooms or areas within pubs, bars and clubs provided that effective smoke extraction systems of an authorised standard are installed, enabling smokers to be accommodated in comfort indoors without impacting on non smokers and staff whilst reducing intrusive noise to many who live close to such establishments, thus helping to safeguard the future of many in the licensed trade. And that any changes to the smoking ban legislation thereafter should be made on the basis of evidence, fairness, proportionality recognising the importance of such institutions to the nation’s social life and community wellbeing."

Mr Binley says that Labour ministers promised to review the ban three years after it came into force on 1st July 2007. That review does not appear to be forthcoming despite the fact that 2,000 pubs and clubs closed last year - in part, it is alleged, because of the smoking ban.

What makes you think I care what you said?

The Spanish and French interpreted the rules on anti-smoking EU legislation and allow smoking in certain circumstances. It's only the UK that has decided to impose a blanket ban.

Are you in favour of a blanket ban on alcohol too?

I see you don't care what you post either. This is a list of countries that have imposed smoking bans. If you want to miss quote that is up to you. It is only yourself that you are fooling.

Australia

Australia didn't have a sudden 'blanket ban'

it was rolled out over about 5 years.

First playgrounds, sports stadiums ect

then places where food is served (pubs after 10pm)

then pubs/bars/clubs.

Aussies still had places to go to smoke after the ban started to come into place. We had time to adjust and adapt.

Archived