Smokers in pub and company door ways.

In view of the fact that ALL smokers are also, by definition, passive smokers, who inhale their own passive smoke together with that of other smokers who keep company with them, isn't it rather surprising that any smoker manages to reach the age of 30?

The figures you read regarding passive smoking, are still only an assumption - NO ONE can tell whether a particular cancer has, in fact, been caused simply by passive smoking.

Cancers are rising year on year whilst the number of smokers (and therefore, the amount of passive smoking), has declined for many years.

The miserable, holier than thou, non-smokers have got their way - why not give it a rest now - at least until someone can give some figures which can actually be proven.

You seem to have missed the point entirely here mate.

Firstly. Whatever you want to believe, the government believe the studies by the World Health Organisation, Cancer Research and other reputable bodies. So you are happy to think passive smoking doesn't harm anyone if you wish, but that isn't going to get you back smoking inside your local.

Secondly. It wasn't non smokers who lobbied to get smoking banned in enclosed public spaces. That was the WHO and Cancer Research. So again if you want to take a pop at non smokers that's again up to you, but again it wasn'tthem that stuck you outside and your ill directed gripes won't get you back inside. So enjoy the winter or get yourself a patch.

the main reason smoking was banned in public places was because non smokers were being forced to breathe in your smoke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11844169

so i think its really selfish for smokers to stand in the doorway and blow smoke over the non smokers entering the building .

So if you have to smoke do it well away from the building and if that means you have have to do it stood in the rain/snow getting wet tough!!!

And here is the proof that non smokers are miserable, whinging, self obsessed puritans bereft of a sense of humor and is the reason why smoking should be reinstated in pubs in order to allow the unhealthy but happy people to enjoy a ciggy with their pint whilst having a bit of a laugh.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=673348

:D

But of course as you are incapable of seeing anything other than black and white you assume that everyone who objects to smokers blocking dooways is a non smoker. I go out with many friends who are smokers. Indeed I go on holiday with them. I don't know any that have insufficient will power to sit for a couple of hours without their addiction forcing them to nip out for a smoke. I think when we flew to Florida for a holiday a few months back nipping out was not an option.

But of course even those who can't contain their craving have the option of nipping outside for a fag. It is only the inconsiderate ones who flout the law and block entrance ways.

If as you try to claim "non smokers are miserable, whinging, self obsessed puritans bereft of a sense of humor", they would be campaigning against smokers being allowed back into a pub until they are totally fumigated. The W.H.O. is already suggesting that third hand smoke is harmful to health and even parents who go outside to smoke are putting their families health at risk because of carbon monoxide and other toxic chemicals trapped in their lungs and on their clothing.

You seem to have missed the point entirely here mate.

Firstly. Whatever you want to believe, the government believe the studies by the World Health Organisation, Cancer Research and other reputable bodies. So you are happy to think passive smoking doesn't harm anyone if you wish, but that isn't going to get you back smoking inside your local.

Secondly. It wasn't non smokers who lobbied to get smoking banned in enclosed public spaces. That was the WHO and Cancer Research. So again if you want to take a pop at non smokers that's again up to you, but again it wasn'tthem that stuck you outside and your ill directed gripes won't get you back inside. So enjoy the winter or get yourself a patch.

1 - I have missed no points at all.

2 - Despite what the government believe (and the government is usually wrong anyway), no one has yet PROVED that passive smoking is responsible for non smokers getting cancer.

3 - I never posted about getting back inside my local - only about the non-smokers complaining about us smoking outside.

4 - I'm enjoying the winter thanks and please refrain from advising me about patches or anything else - I will smoke for as long as I want to and will not take lectures from you.

By the way, my "ill directed gripes" are aimed only at the non-smokers on the Forum who seem to think that they have some god given right to tell us what to do.

When they stop griping, then so will I.

the main reason smoking was banned in public places was because non smokers were being forced to breathe in your smoke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11844169

so i think its really selfish for smokers to stand in the doorway and blow smoke over the non smokers entering the building .

So if you have to smoke do it well away from the building and if that means you have have to do it stood in the rain/snow getting wet tough!!!

I think that it's also selfish of non-smokers to object to the occasional smoking pub which we could use and they, if they wished, could stay away from.

That SHOULD make everyone happy but NO, the non smokers would not be happy with this - far more selfish than anything the smokers do.

Your second paragraph is a direct order to all smokers - we don't try and tell you what to do so, you can guess what our reaction to that is.

I think that it's also selfish of non-smokers to object to the occasional smoking pub which we could use and they, if they wished, could stay away from.

That SHOULD make everyone happy but NO, the non smokers would not be happy with this - far more selfish than anything the smokers do.

Your second paragraph is a direct order to all smokers - we don't try and tell you what to do so, you can guess what our reaction to that is.

What a pathetic response. All non smokers want are to be able to get into a building without having to wade through people and their smoke. Its not too much to ask.

But sadly you can't see that and its why all smokers get labelled as ill-mannered ilk.

What a pathetic response. All non smokers want are to be able to get into a building without having to wade through people and their smoke. Its not too much to ask.

But sadly you can't see that and its why all smokers get labelled as ill-mannered ilk.

Personally, if I stand in a doorway (which is rarely), I move immediately if I see someone coming but, I am not going to be told where I can stand or how many yards away I must go.

It would seem that we will have to agree to differ and accept that non-smokers are selfish and smokers are ill mannered.

Personally, if I stand in a doorway (which is rarely), I move immediately if I see someone coming but, I am not going to be told where I can stand or how many yards away I must go.

It would seem that we will have to agree to differ and accept that non-smokers are selfish and smokers are ill mannered.

I admire your lack of selfishness. It was the lack of self regulation that brought about the banning of smoking in public places, and in particular the total lack of compromise. I've recently been to Canada and the USA. In many cities it is not allowed for smokers to smoke in front of buildings, and they are now forced to smoke in alleyways alongside. It is also rigidly enforced, and you will be chased off by bar owners if you smoke in the wrong place. I just wonder if the UK will adopt a similar policy should self regulation not be seen to be working here.

I admire your lack of selfishness. It was the lack of self regulation that brought about the banning of smoking in public places, and in particular the total lack of compromise. I've recently been to Canada and the USA. In many cities it is not allowed for smokers to smoke in front of buildings, and they are now forced to smoke in alleyways alongside. It is also rigidly enforced, and you will be chased off by bar owners if you smoke in the wrong place. I just wonder if the UK will adopt a similar policy should self regulation not be seen to be working here.

There isn't self regulation here, smokers are already legislated against.

There isn't self regulation here, smokers are already legislated against.

Smoking is not allowed in pub doorways. At the moment it seems self regulation of that part of the law is not working. If it is seen to have become widely ignored I would expect further legislation such as that adopted in Canada and the USA.

Archived