Smokers in pub and company door ways.

Last night I went for a bar meal at the Chequers at Coal Aston. The pub has a long entrace hall that stretches around 20 feet into the bar. On arriving there were 6 smokers in the hallway and we had to push past to get into the pub.

There were also several large signs where the smokers were congregated stating that no smoking was allowed, but this was obviously being ignored by both the smokers and the pub staff.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't that hallway classed as an enclosed public space as it has walls on both sides, doors on both ends and a roof. It just seems strange that the pub is being so lax enforcing the rules as it could result in a very hefty fine. Not only that the smell of smoke was heavy in the hallway and pervaded the dining area. It also gave a pretty poor impression of the place.

This is not just isolated to pubs. Businesses too often have staff smoking in the main entrance giving a very poor impression to visitors and customers. Why do these places not enforce the rules?

report them then but otherwise theres no point to this thread

Its a shame that a huge fine cannot be slapped on the people that still insist on whinging about smokers smoking in doorways.

Are people still smoking in the pub on the next table to you?... No?

Are people still smoking in the office in the next bay to you?... No?

Are people still smoking in the restaurant on the next table to you?... No?

Are people still smoking in hospital in the next bed to you?... No?

Are people still smoking outside in the wind and rain because of you?... Yes?

Stop moaning.

Perhaps the no smoking law would have been better if smoking were only permitted indoors and those wishing 'smoke free air' had the entire outside of everywhere with all that fresh unpolluted air to enjoy?

here here, well said this man :thumbsup:

Dunno, believe i've heard reports on Look North stating it'd make the country better off. I'm sure some googlist could find some facts and figures.

If were now talking taxes, what about alcohol and other illicit drugs, and the damage and costs they incur?

again and what amout of tax goes back to the nhs from this ?

There's nothing positive about the ignorance of smoking in a doorway. There is no excuse so some posters on here should stop trying to find one. Its the reason why smokers are so despised, along with throwing fag ends on to the floor or out of car windows.

Do you despise me coz I'm a smoker :(

I move away from doors, I don't smoke around kids, I don't smoke in my own home. If I'm in a beer garden around people who don't smoke, I always anounce my intentions prior to lighing up. (I don't know how I can be more considerate).

I work full time, by the way, and have 2 casual jobs.

There's nothing positive about the ignorance of smoking in a doorway. There is no excuse so some posters on here should stop trying to find one. Its the reason why smokers are so despised, along with throwing fag ends on to the floor or out of car windows.

Do you drive? If not, do you travel on public transport?...Do you fly when you go abroad?

Archived