Smokers in pub and company door ways.

.... Although i have tried ( and failed ) to quit i still smoke ........ and because i smoke your telling me I am "Despised" ... is this just by you or everyone that does not smoke , cos i`m actually a really nice guy !!!

I agree, I smoke, I am a nice person, I think it is totally wrong for one person to inflict their opinions on others, as if they were right, and god knows what the medical and dental practioners would do without having fags to blame for everything from an ingrown toe nail to cancer. And beore you start, not all cancers are caused by smoking. If people want to smoke, its no one elses business, What makes you think you are all so perfect and dont upset others with your lifestyle?

It is very silly to allow this to go on.

Indeed. Now's the time to abandon the stupid enforcement of the unenforceable law (or make it more like the Spanish and French have interpreted it and allow smoking in certain establishments).

And cost the NHS millions...

But not as many millions as they pay in taxes.

even to me that makes no sense what so ever...

Why; do you have a reading and comprehension age of 7?:D

it is very difficult to get wheeelchair patients in through the main entrance

So they can have a cigarette as there is nowhere where a smoker can go to have one inside the building now?:D

It will not matter how much revenue is made through smoking or the money being paid out for treatment due to smoking, because if its not this problem people are complaining about, its another problem.

Maybe not. But if the government were to suddenly declare tobacco products illegal, all the anti-smoking brigade would be "up in arms" as their individual tax burder would be increased as the government's revenue stream would be severly depleted.

Would it not be a better idea to have smoking pubs and non-smoking pubs? Problem solved!

That'd never please the anti-smokers. They want it all their own way with no attempt of compromise. I can only hope that someday the government will ban something they enjoy.

Is suicide legal?

Yep. 100% legal. Why'd you ask; thinking of trying it out?

Indeed. Now's the time to abandon the stupid enforcement of the unenforceable law (or make it more like the Spanish and French have interpreted it and allow smoking in certain establishments).

I see you have had to resort to quoting people out of context to try to back up your ridiculous claims.

What I actually said was....

It is very silly to allow this to go on. Fines of £2500 can be imposed for allowing smoking, but more seriously those fined have usually lost the tenancy for bringing the pubco's name into disrepute. The smokers themselves usually get away with a £50 on the spot fine.

The law is totally enforcable and almost universally obeyed. There are very few cases of people smoking in business premises, public houses or restaurants. Where this has occured heavy fines have been imposed and one landlord sent to prison. The only place where to law is regularly being flouted is people smoking in doorways. It only requires someone to report this and an enforcement team will take action, and if the business owner doesn't take steps to prevent the law from being broken on the spot fines will be imposed.

Was it not one of the Crowns own people who introduced tobacco in the first case? The govt and non smokers are really two faced, if its so bad why is it not banned, why are they still happy to sell them to us, because of the tax revenue ofcourse.

Banning smoking has cost a lot of jobs, not just in the pub trade but in the allied trades also.

Actually Walter Raleigh was executed on the orders of Queen Elizabeth 1st.

What I actually said was....

What makes you think I care what you said?

The Spanish and French interpreted the rules on anti-smoking EU legislation and allow smoking in certain circumstances. It's only the UK that has decided to impose a blanket ban.

Are you in favour of a blanket ban on alcohol too?

What makes you think I care what you said?

The Spanish and French interpreted the rules on anti-smoking EU legislation and allow smoking in certain circumstances. It's only the UK that has decided to impose a blanket ban.

Are you in favour of a blanket ban on alcohol too?

I see you don't care what you post either. This is a list of countries that have imposed smoking bans. If you want to miss quote that is up to you. It is only yourself that you are fooling.

Albania

Andorra

Argentina

Armenia

Australia

Austria

Bahrain

Belgium

Bermuda

Bhutan

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Brazil

Bulgaria

Canada

Chile

China

Colombia

Croatia

Cuba

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Ecuador

Estonia

Faroe Islands

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Guatemala

Guernsey

Hong Kong

Hungary

Iceland

India

Indonesia

Ireland

Isle of Man

Israel

Italy

Japan

Jersey

Kazakhstan

Kenya

Latvia

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Macedonia

Madagascar

Malta

Malaysia

Mexico

Monaco

Montenegro

Morocco

Mozambique

Namibia

Netherlands

New Zealand

Niger

Nigeria

Norway

Palestinian Authority

Paraguay

Pakistan

Peru

Philippines

Poland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

Qatar

Russia

Saudi Arabia

Singapore

Serbia

Slovenia

South Africa

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Syria

Taiwan

Thailand

Turkey

Uganda

United Arab Emirates

England

Northern Ireland

Scotland

Wales

United Nations

United States

Uruguay

Vatican City

Vietnam

Zambia

I think it is totally wrong for one person to inflict their opinions on others, as if they were right, and god knows what the medical and dental practioners would do without having fags to blame for everything from an ingrown toe nail to cancer. And beore you start, not all cancers are caused by smoking. If people want to smoke, its no one elses business, What makes you think you are all so perfect and dont upset others with your lifestyle?

By this logic (and it's not a dig at you personally because a lot of people share you're opinion) smokers shouldn't force 2nd hand smoke onto other people. I'm completely fine with people smoking, thats their choice but i don't think non smokers should have the 2nd hand smoke forced on them

I find it very hard to believe some of those countries have a complete ban, esp. China and some of the African countries.

China has already implemented smoking bans on public buildings, hospitals and many other enclosed areas. It made a pledge to the World Health Organisation that it would enforce a ban on all public smoking by 2011. Having lived and worked in Honk Kong for much of my life I can confirm that the Chinese have ways of enforcing their laws that might seem a little Draconian to the west.

Archived