Politicians at the Cenotaph

Tony

Politics at the Cenotaph  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Politics at the Cenotaph

• No thanks
    • It's their duty

It was impossible to watch the marching veterans this morning without a lump in the throat and a tear in the eye. From the hail and hearty to the infirm and elderly it was a magnificent and humbling sight to behold.

Such a shame then that they came second to the politicians taking their turn to place a wreath at the Cenotaph on behalf of their individual parties. Of course the PM of the day should represent the nation and government but it sticks in the craw when we have to endure the Jonny-come-latelys from all parties from Plaid Cymru to UKIP lining up to 'pay their respects' with their party wreaths.

We all know that war is a political beast but I've come to believe that politicians should have had no visibility at today's events beyond a simple representation of the collective.

It's a time for them to reflect on what they sometimes have to do, not to primp and preen for their image to the voters.

It was impossible to watch the marching veterans this morning without a lump in the throat and a tear in the eye. From the hail and hearty to the infirm and elderly it was a magnificent and humbling sight to behold.

Such a shame then that they came second to the politicians taking their turn to place a wreath at the Cenotaph on behalf of their individual parties. Of course the PM of the day should represent the nation and government but it sticks in the craw when we have to endure the Jonny-come-latelys from all parties from Plaid Cymru to UKIP lining up to 'pay their respects' with their party wreaths.

We all know that war is a political beast but I've come to believe that politicians should have had no visibility at today's events beyond a simple representation of the collective.

It's a time for them to reflect on what they sometimes have to do, not to primp and preen for their image to the voters.

I know what your saying, but our government is a democracy and it has / needs an opposition to be effective.

I spent time musing about who have never been mentioned, not really service members, but, well say the little innocent playing child who brought a smile when one may have been wondering the point of it all.

Archived